1937 Special Gas Tank

Jack Worstell

The fuel take-off on my buddy's 1937 Special comes off the bottom of the gas tank ??      There is no take-off out the sender unit or from anywhere on the top of the tank ??

Is this correct or has someone in the past installed a different tank or perhaps modified the original tank    ??

Jack Worstell        jlwmaster@aol.com

Jack,

Just use some logic and think about it.

Who in their right mind would put the fuel line in the BOTTOM of the tank, where every bit of crud will settle.

Even with a series of really good filters, this is a BAD IDEA.

If not the dirt, just think of the H2O that will settle there.

Time to put a plug in it and move the pick up to the top where it belongs.

Just my $ .02 and worth every penny.

Just to clarify....I'm not talking about a pick-up tube that comes in from the top of the tank and then extends to the bottom of the tank.

The tank that currently is in my buddy's 1937 Special has no pick-up tube at all........the gas comes out of a connection that is soldered ( welded ??) into the bottom of the gas tank ???    Surely it didn't come from the factory this way ??

Jack Worstell       jlwmaster@aol.com

No it did not come from the factory that way. Can you post a photo? It could be an original tank that someone connected a hose to the drain plug opening on the bottom, or it could be a non-original tank.

3 hours ago, Jack Worstell said:

Just to clarify....I'm not talking about a pick-up tube that comes in from the top of the tank and then extends to the bottom of the tank.

The tank that currently is in my buddy's 1937 Special has no pick-up tube at all........the gas comes out of a connection that is soldered ( welded ??) into the bottom of the gas tank ???    Surely it didn't come from the factory this way ??

Jack Worstell       jlwmaster@aol.com

I REFER YOU TO POST #4 ABOVE..........................