322 timing chain

Beemon

I had a run in with misfortune today. My pertronix module fried in the parking lot at school so I swapped my points back in. While doing so crudely, I had to turn the crank by hand to get a lobe to line up with the rubbing block and noticed that there was a delay with the rotor spinning when I turned the crank. I remember when John did his, he diagnosed a worn chain the same way. 

Does anyone know of a reliable source for a timing chain that isn't NOS? Will a 364-401-426 chain work? 

6 hours ago, lancemb said:

Why are you averse to NOS chain?

Because preliminary searches don't come up with anything and I don't have the original chain. I'm not actual sure what's in the car, all I know is it is loose. 

2 hours ago, old-tank said:

How many miles since a rebuild?  Actually all nailhead chains will work, but you will want a NOS or NORS that was produced when the car was contemporary (supplied in a long box)...the current chains are sloppy loose out of the box.

About 3000 now I would say. I did the rear main in the advent of the fourth oil change. I'm thinking the rebuilder slapped a loose chain on there - either that or the original chain was loose from 20 years of hard labor. The delay between the crank and rotor wasnt too bad but it's there.

The 56 should have an all steel cam gear if it is original or replaced. So your slack should be in the chain only.  In my case the GS had a nylon covered cam gear, so I thought the slack was in the cam gear, not the chain.  It appears I was wrong when I measured the cam gear.  But don't forget two other things.  I could get at least an inch of movement at the end of a 14" breaker bar before my distributor would turn.  And my car was deficient in it's performance.  I think most chains will stretch a little after initial run in. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the thread Willie, I found a ton of NOS chains under C491.

I was curious so I ran the number through NAPA and the same chain was used in the late 60s all the way through to the late 70s on Fords, Lincolns and Mercury's. I'm surprised the new stuff is junk, I would think the Ford guys would be on top of this. 

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

Considering that the NailHead block basic architecture should have been the same through its life, that should mean that the cam is the same distance from the centerline of the main bearings/crankshaft nose.  There could have been some differences in the cam sprockets, though, as I seem to recall some differences in certain model years' camshafts.  Cloyes showed a few model year splits on the chains, as I recall, but the earlier one I found was for 1957.  I think I ran across the non-Buick applications in the buyers' guide sections in RockAuto?  Interesting that the MEL Ford motors used the same chain!

Personally, I like the Cloyes Plus roller chain sets.  If you want to have completely accurate camshaft timing, then a Jessel belt drive would do that, but not sure if there is a NH Buick kit for that.  Yep, use a belt drive (rather than a chain), then a crank trigger ignition system with coil on plug configurations and see how much additional power/efficiency could be had!  Presuming, of course, that a Jessel kit exists for the NailHead Buick motor.

NTX5467

1 hour ago, Bob Engle said:

Talk with CAR Nailhead Buick.  this guy knows nailheads and can get you the best parts.  He is one of the few people that know how to get performance from these engines.

Bob Engle

Very useful vendor, but in this case his chains are sloppy loose too...