Weatherstrip glue

ken1007

weatherstrip glue

There is a need to "fuse" together the butt end of rubber weather strip to make a good seal on a rear window; available only in one continuous length.  Some time ago, I  heard of a 3M glue that is designed to "fuse" the butt end of weather strip with bonding similar to vulcanization.  It's reportedly a small, expensive tube that work exceptionally well and is easy to use.  Does anyone know of such a product? Ken, Deltaville, Va

Thanks to all, just ordered 3 M super glue, hope it works.  Ken, Deltaville, Va 
Edited by ken1007 (see edit history)

Depending on the type of rubber the weatherstrip is made from, you can use any CA glue made specifically for rubber. If it has a high silicone content, as some material does, you need to use silicone to glue it together as CA (Super glue) will not stick to silicone based material.

I always use  3M Super Black Weatherstrip Adhesive 08008

Is very tough stuff. When installing weather strips cut the strip a little long (about1/4 or 3/8") and apply adhesive to the ends and let the natural pressure hold it together.

I have used it to hold SS mouldings on when you can't get them to hold tight to the body. I applied the adhesive and held the moulding in place with a 2X4 until it hardened. Make sure that you clean off any adhesive on the paint or it is forever! (use lacquer thinner)

It is also good for emblems that the little pins have broken off, or they are stripped, apply from both sides of the panel.

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)

You can go onto the 3M website and ask them your question, by clicking on the "Chat" button.

http://3mauto.com/products/adhesives-sealants#JdOQLa7vEgPdduZT.97

http://3mauto.com/products/adhesives-sealants/3m-super-glue-gel-08122.html#x7Dz03sUD7CLXx9p.97

It might be this super glue gel you are thinking of but I'm not sure. Most of the weatherstrip adhesive bonds rubber to metal, and can also bond rubber to rubber but may not be optimum for that.

3M™ Super Glue Gel 08122

Super Glue Gel 08122

I have always used the 3M 08581 product, which is called "Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive".  

Among other applications, I have joined the ends of my Triumph TR4 Trunk gasket with it and it has not come apart over the past 3 years.  Like other have said, I cut the gasket approximately 3/8 inch longer than needed and used the pressure between the two pieces along with some blue painters tape to hold it until it dried.

• Like 1