Interesting specimen '81 Buick Limo

BUICK RACER

I like it.  And because I'm stupid (like I need another b-body), I started asking questions. He sent me a photo of the title, and the VIN says it's an '81 with an Olds 307:  http://www.gmforum.com/vindecoder.php?vin=1g4ax69y6bh408689

Michigan title calls it a hearse. 

He sent me a photo under the hood too. Still an Olds (which is fine in my book), but it's kinda hard to differentiate small/big block in the photo (I'd assume it's a 307 w/o checking the block number). IMG_4408.JPG

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Go get 'Er

I don't have a big enough trailer.

"Leaks Gas near the back when it is running" intrigues me, though.  I wouldn't expect an electric fuel pump at the tank (although I guess they could have added one when it was stretched).  Since it's an Olds motor, it would have a return from the engine driven pump.  Cap the return at the pump and it could probably be driven home.

Then again, it was probably fed E10 and then left to sit.  The entire fuel system is probably a ticking time bomb.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SpecialEducation said:

I don't have a big enough trailer.

"Leaks Gas near the back when it is running" intrigues me, though.  I wouldn't expect an electric fuel pump at the tank (although I guess they could have added one when it was stretched).  Since it's an Olds motor, it would have a return from the engine driven pump.  Cap the return at the pump and it could probably be driven home.

Then again, it was probably fed E10 and then left to sit.  The entire fuel system is probably a ticking time bomb.  

Can one tow dolly this?

Just now, wndsofchng06 said:

Can one tow dolly this?

With a big enough dolly, just pull the drive shaft to protect the transmission.  My dolly isn't that wide.

If I HAD to haul it cross-country, I'd probably pull the front bumper, bolt up a tow bar, and flat-tow it home.  That option doesn't excite me much, though.

• Like 1

Just curious and I don't mean to offend, what the heck would y'all do with it?   Also, what's with the speedometer only registering 85 mph? Were their years that  speedometers  only registered that? Or were they only used in Buicks  with Oldsmobile engines  :lol:

• Like 1

The engine, if original, is an Olds 307.  NOT a powerhouse by any stretch (no pun intended) of the imagination.  They were terrible performers in the day with TONS of emissions equipment hung all over.  Many folks with GM B-Bodies of this era with the Olds 307 drop larger Olds engines (350-400-403-455) in place of the 307 as they will drop right in.  Olds used a common block between various displacements.

As far as the speedometer, that was a federal mandate beginning in 1979 in an vain attempt  in enforcing the 55 mph speed limit.  See:  http://www.classic-car-history.com/85-mph-speedo.htm

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Just curious and I don't mean to offend, what the heck would y'all do with it?   Also, what's with the speedometer only registering 85 mph? Were their years that  speedometers  only registered that? Or were they only used in Buicks  with Oldsmobile engines  :lol:

Well, I've got 3 kids, so a car with only 2 rows of seats is a bit crowded.  I'm not a big SUV fan, thus wagons and limos fit the niche for me.  Also, in high school I drove a '82 LeSabre with a 5.0 Olds.  It was surprisingly quick with some minor mods.  Let's just say I'm glad we didn't have yearly inspections in Kansas.

85 MPH speedos (not Mr. Earls) with an emphasis on the double-nickel were required by the Federales  (specifically the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) from '79 to '81.  Many cars retained the 85 mph speedo longer because the engineering work was already done and it cost money to change it.  My '83 Pontiac has an 85 MPH speedo, and I promise you, it goes much, much faster.  The speedo restriction was supposed to save 2.2% in fuel usage, but that was never substantiated or realized.

Say what you want about the Oldsmobile Rocket V-8, but I'll remind you of this:  The Buick V8 was discontinued in 1981, where the Olds V8 ran until 1990.  It was the only V8 in the world that could meet 1990 emissions standards WITH A CARBURETOR.  It's an exceptional engine, thus my choice to repower my 1991 Olds wagon with a (fuel injected) Rocket 350.

Just now, Brad Conley said:

The engine, if original, is an Olds 307.  NOT a powerhouse by any stretch (no pun intended) of the imagination.  They were terrible performers in the day with TONS of emissions equipment hung all over. 

A lot of people dog on the 307, but it was still a good engine.  Not GREAT like the 350, but still better than the SBCs of the day.  Peak HP and torque numbers don't necessarily show it, but the 307s were set up for low end torque, and with any engine, that's a trade-off.  There was also a H.O. version of the 307 in the 80's than had a more aggressive cam (that I may or may not have been running in mine...).

Now, if I bought this limo, I've got a spare 403 that would probably find its way into it...

• Like 1

see.....  you've already got plans for it.   Make an offer, rent a bigger trailer, and go!  When I moved back to NC from D.C., I bought a cheap 84 F350 dually with a billion miles, rented a 20 some foot equipment trailer, loaded my 53 IHC flatbed on it, put the smaller pickup on the flatbed and towed the whole rig down I-95.   You never realized how unlevel a road is until you drive it with that much weight behind you!

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wndsofchng06 said:

see.....  you've already got plans for it.   Make an offer, rent a bigger trailer, and go!

not.helping.

If the Olds I'm building for my wife were done, and a couple parts cars were gone, I might have more flexibility.  For today, the count stands at 14.

If it's still available the next time I'm in Michigan (probably June), it will come home with me.

3 minutes ago, SpecialEducation said:

not.helping.

If the Olds I'm building for my wife were done, and a couple parts cars were gone, I might have more flexibility.  For today, the count stands at 14.

If it's still available the next time I'm in Michigan (probably June), it will come home with me.

14!!   ok Lamar Jr.

6 minutes ago, Imperial62 said:

A person could advertise for weddings, proms etc with a car like this to offset purchase costs. These look proportionally correct compared to some of the silly modern stretch limousines.  A person could show one of these at a BCA National. 

I like to give Christmas light tours...

I also like the Checker Aerobus for a variety of reasons, including the fact that they are FACTORY designed and built (and therefore nice proportions), with excellent multi-year parts interchangeability .  Everybody gets a door & window, and everyone faces forward - a plus for light tours.  We used to make parts for Checker until the day they quit building complete cars.

I'd probably put an LT5 or an LS in a Checker... or maybe a Duramax!

10 minutes ago, Imperial62 said:

A person could advertise for weddings, proms etc with a car like this to offset purchase costs. These look proportionally correct compared to some of the silly modern stretch limousines.  A person could show one of these at a BCA National. 

You better have the proper insurance coverage...your average personal lines auto insurance policy will not cover you operating a livery service.  The last one I quoted ran about $2500 per year for just the liability coverage.

1 minute ago, Brad Conley said:

You better have the proper insurance coverage...your average personal lines auto insurance policy will not cover you operating a livery service.  The last one I quoted ran about $2500 per year for just the liability coverage.

Oh, there you go, dashing hopes & dreams with legality and realism...

• Like 2

There is very little outward physical difference between 307/350/403/455 Oldsmobile engines.  I've had a few 83 - 85 Riviera with the 307 (5.0 liter) Oldsmobile engines and I've sworn I'll never own another one.  It's embarrassing to be passed when going uphill by 18 wheelers when driving through the mountains of West Virginia. Even the rolling hills of central Missouri along the Missouri River will cause the transmission to down shift trying to hold a steady 70 mph.  It won't do it with the cruise on, you have to do it manually and that takes a lot of enjoyment out of your trip.   I know that some folks feel that they're peppy but not in my book. I certainly can't see it dragging a 6 door limo down the highway.  Maybe 4 or 5 miles from the funeral home to the cemetery at 15 mph but that's about all it might be good for.  I can't even imagine what kind of mileage that engine pulling that car would get.

As far as hauling a family of kids around, find a Chevy Caprice, or Buick Roadmaster Wagon from '94 - '96.  They have the Corvette's LT1 engine in them.  260 hp and it will get 25 mpg on the highway.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

There is very little outward physical difference between 307/350/403/455 Oldsmobile engines.  I've had a few 83 - 85 Riviera with the 307 (5.0 liter) Oldsmobile engines and I've sworn I'll never own another one.  It's embarrassing to be passed when going uphill by 18 wheelers when driving through the mountains of West Virginia. Even the rolling hills of central Missouri along the Missouri River will cause the transmission to down shift trying to hold a steady 70 mph.  It won't do it with the cruise on, you have to do it manually and that takes a lot of enjoyment out of your trip.   I know that some folks feel that they're peppy but not in my book. I certainly can't see it dragging a 6 door limo down the highway.  Maybe 4 or 5 miles from the funeral home to the cemetery at 15 mph but that's about all it might be good for.  I can't even imagine what kind of mileage that engine pulling that car would get.

As far as hauling a family of kids around, find a Chevy Caprice, or Buick Roadmaster Wagon from '94 - '96.  They have the Corvette's LT1 engine in them.  260 hp and it will get 25 mpg on the highway.

I think the problem with your Rivs was a bad choice of gearing.  My '82 LeSabre was heavier and would run with the cruise set at 85 (or faster?) all day long.  The worst thing I ever did to my LeSabre was put a THM 350 in it.  I got tired of blowing up 200R4s, but the gears in that 350 were just WRONG!

I'm looking to get 325hp+ out of this Olds (not a stretch, it started at 310hp in my grandma's car), with similar mileage characteristics in the bubble body as the LT-1.   Built right and given some modern technology, I have no doubt that it will outperform any '90s SBC derivative.

7 minutes ago, SpecialEducation said:

I think the problem with your Rivs was a bad choice of gearing.  My '82 LeSabre was heavier and would run with the cruise set at 85 (or faster?) all day long.  The worst thing I ever did to my LeSabre was put a THM 350 in it.  I got tired of blowing up 200R4s, but the gears in that 350 were just WRONG!

I'm looking to get 325hp+ out of this Olds (not a stretch, it started at 310hp in my grandma's car), with similar mileage characteristics in the bubble body as the LT-1.   Built right and given some modern technology, I have no doubt that it will outperform any '90s SBC derivative.

Could have been the gearing.  The Riv was FWD and it had a final drive ratio of 2.78 with the 67% overdrive TH325 (FWD 200-4r)  Still in low gear they didn't have much zip either.  By '85, that engine had so much "emmisions trial and error" on it, it was nothing but a maze of vacuum tubing.  I never had one, but I understand that the 79 and 80's with the Buick 350 were pretty snappy.

Ed