1963 white riv going thru Barrett Jackson today

alini

4 hours ago, KongaMan said:

Why would someone paint the engine bright blue?

Probably for the same reason I painted my 65 Nailhead red...cuz I wanted to :)

As u can see on my build thread my car is far from finished. A co-worker read thru my build thread & offered 16k for my car as is. I turned it down. I'm beginning to regret that discussion :( 

I dont have a problem with the engine color, I have a problem with the fact the engine is freshly painted and yet nothing else seems to be.  The white with blue interior is not very appealing, the white loses the lines of the car to me.  Its a non AC car but not 100# original obviously.

Its Thursday at Barrett Jackson in Vegas, these cars are NOT expected to get top dollar, they are flawed, need something or just not something that people are dieing to have.  So something else might be up we dont see.  Another car sold today the announcers even said the trunk was crumbling rust, but the outside was nice.  I hope to get down there Saturday and see it first hand.

The biggest problem, people looking at Riviera right now are thinking thats the going price for a nice car.....not knowing the facts about the car

I used to drive down to the Atlantic City auction every February for a break from winter and something car related to do. There was always one car that I thought was a good deal and stood out in my mind.

Other than buying an under priced car from an owner who had been all hyped up by the auction house why would anyone go there to purchase? I think there was dealer and collection activity to create a little off season cash flow. Being a cynic. I would really like to see where the actual folding money ends up. I worked for the old Eastman Kodak at one time and we used what we called Kodabucks to pay for projects; inflated imaginary money shifted between cooperating departments, kind of like a bunch of car dealers putting on a buy/sell show hoping to rope in a sucker.

Kruse don't do auctions anymore do they?

I think last year I asked if any of the forum members could share buying and selling experiences from these big publicized auctions and I don't remember any replies.

This is a very representative group of the car hobby. How have you done? Scored real big? Or waved good bye to an old friend with the consolation pocket change?

Bernie

I've never bought or sold a car through an auction. I've been to a few though. It's fun to look at the cars, become awestruck by some of the prices and generally be part of the event. That said, I'm honestly not sure if they are good or bad for the hobby. On the plus side, they certainly stoke interest in the hobby and bring to light some amazing cars. On the negative side, they seem to encourage speculators, flippers, con artists and include some questionable cars. I dunno. PRL

I've bought a couple of vehicles at auction over the years. One at a Mecum auction, two at Carlisle. All of them were bought below current market and were in better shape than I expected. But then again I wrench on my own stuff and what I bought I followed and looked over closely. When and if I ever sell them I'm sure I'll have spent more than I get for them after working on them and paying insurance etc., but I'm not trying to fund my retirement, I'm looking for cars that interest me, and an auction usually has plenty to look at in one place.

I don't have time to travel all over the country chasing cars I want so I watch what is coming to me at auction (while watching for local stuff for sale), and I walk away from the multitude of quicky paint job and polish examples.

Its been said on this forum many times before, this is a hobby for me not a business. I'm sure if I golfed all the time, wanted to fly, travel, race, or whatever I'd be spending money with nothing to show for it (except the memories of course). I get satisfaction and comaradarie from working on and driving my old cars and bikes and how I find them matters not to me.

Chuck

yes, you can get beers and mixed drinks at Barrett-Jackson anyway.

As for making money flipping a car, trust me its tough.  I just did a complete frame off rebuild.  I did everything myself and invested 23K in parts (having to rebuild the engine a second time put me over 20K)  If I sold the car right now I would be hard to find a buyer willing to pay more than 25K, trust me thats all I heard when I listed it on Ebay starting at 25.  everyone who sent me mssages on Ebay told me I was starting too high.  I highly doubt I will get much out of it.  I had hoped it would be worth closer to 35K but I think thats a far stretch anymore.  I may roll the dice next September and contact Barrett Jackson to auction it, but its $700 up front from me to even get it in the auction.  Luckily the buyer pays the other fees, so the car that sold Thursday for a bid of 16000 actually cause to buyer 17600.  But after paying to get it in the show the seller only made 15300. And that's because it was a Thursday car, if they decide to sell mine on Friday or Saturday the entry fee is higher.  They decide when each car is sold.

Keep in mind I didn't mention the 739 hours it took to get from point A to point B.  You have to do it cause you like doing it and not worry about your time.