Dewey does it!

PWB

When I ( or should I say my friend Steve and I, GMC Tech instructor) replaced the booster, I rated the job a 9 on a scale of 10, on the profanity meter. Even Steve was cursing blue. I had Dewey do the gold finish on the booster,, latch, and the cap for the brake fluid res. I like the way all three items match. 

Lookin' good, Paul!  I know that people say that the yellow finish is correct for the hood latch, but I honestly don't remember ever seeing one that bright back in the day (well, back around 1970 anyway).  Maybe I was too young to really notice, or perhaps the finish on the latch oxidizes/dulls much quicker since it it directly exposed to road spray coming in through the grille.  My inclination would be to figure a way to dull the finish ('age' the finish a couple of years) just so that it doesn't become the first thing that you see when you raise the hood.  Just my opinion...

Yes, it is too bright. Don't match the chrome grill either. Good thing its under the hood. But it WAS pretty nasty before. Light gold paint don't pass.

These 2 items were the most corroded items on the whole darn car. No, wait, the battery tray is worse. That beast is next. No one makes one. :mellow:

A while back you could purchase a 'universal' vinyl coated (...probably made in China), replacement tray which fit the large style batteries used in full size GM vehicles.

You could also get the smaller size 'universal' replacement tray - and once they are installed no one will ever see them. Check the automotive supply stores to source them?

Those original painted steel, GM trays did not stand up to well with battery acid, and it is a very common problem with all older cars. 

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

Lookin' good, Paul!  I know that people say that the yellow finish is correct for the hood latch, but I honestly don't remember ever seeing one that bright back in the day (well, back around 1970 anyway).  Maybe I was too young to really notice, or perhaps the finish on the latch oxidizes/dulls much quicker since it it directly exposed to road spray coming in through the grille.  My inclination would be to figure a way to dull the finish ('age' the finish a couple of years) just so that it doesn't become the first thing that you see when you raise the hood.  Just my opinion...

I've removed originals with bright gold cad plating in area where its sandwiched/bolted down and protected from elements. I know what you mean though, had it not been for removing enough of these and seeing it with own eyes I would question whether they were ever gold cad at all though I have also seen a couple originals from pampered cars that still had a decent amount of gold left on the whole part even after 40+ years. I doubt there was much quality control emphasis on rust prevention plating so the finish could likely have been inconsistent.

Unfortunately high resolution photos of brand new cars with hoods open have not been easy to come by which would aid a solid conclusion.