64 Riviera - seem sealer for rear floor pan section

coOverwatch

Hi all,

Just about done with welding in the new(er) floor sections. need some help with what seam sealer to use around the wheel well's. when I scraped/dug out the old stuff around the lower front section (around the outer wheel well and quarter panel) it was a putty like material. Very soft and flexible. Want to make sure I use the correct stuff 

I found a product at Lowes that appeared/flowed exactly the same. I just cant remember which manufacturer it was.

But it was a roof sealant in a tube. Never gets fully rigid. And not sticky/gooey like silicone based products.

Left a dull finish. Could not tell the difference from the original. They are pretty cheap and you may have to test a few - but its at Lowes.

It was a black roof sealant similar to this one:

31+MjXspa3L.jpg

Edited by PWB
Typo (see edit history)

thanks all. When I cleaned out the rear floor pan there was some putty in the lower section where the floor, quarter panel and inner/outer wheel tubs meet  up.

I will take a pic of the location later today. Just want to make sure I get things all sealed up again so I don't get more rust in that spot.

I have used the SEM Seam Sealer with good results in the past.  Ed, I have used the Flex Seal stuff to coat a tool handle and one of my basement walls where I had some water infiltration - it worked well in both.  The viscosity doesn't seem right for seam sealing it is more runny (if that is a word to describe viscosity), but it may work.  I think the SEM is a better solution.  You should be able to get the SEM at a local auto paint store.

Rock On

gord

thanks all. been receiving the new body and floor panels for the 68 Pontiac this week. nothing like having two cars going at once. New shop is "done" and lift is in. Now if the builder would have just got the building permit and had the foundation inspected I would be living large... but he "forgot". so now I have attorney's involved and I sit and look at a nice big building that I have to wait probably another month to be able to use. Oh.. I also saw a 63 Riv on Craig's list in Longmont CO. has a bit of rust on it. was thinking on going and looking at it.