Nailhead Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Dave@Moon

I'm looking for a set of exhaust manifold bolts fro a 1960 368 engine.  All I've been able to find so far are sets that fit the 401-425 motor (with no near designated). 

Does anyone know if those bolts are the same?  If not is there a source or size I should look for instead? 

These are pictures that I took of the exhaust manifolds that I took off of my '64 Riviera 425.  Apparently they'd never been off previously or if they had been removed, they were reinstalled with the French locks.  You can see that there are only two bolts that are longer that the others.  These two go through a double thickness of the manifold on the outer bolt holes of the two rear cylinders. They had individual locks on them rather than the hoop locks.

The bolts are a standard thread and standard length.  I put a set on a different engine (sans the locks) using grade 5 hardware store bolts and they seemed to work just fine.  The "looks" of the bolt heads were a little different but they were the same sized heads and threads as the OE ones.  You'll notice that there were no gaskets between the manifolds and the heads.

Hope this helps.

Ed

20150225_153515.jpg20150225_153637.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks!  The only set specifically for the Nailhead that I can find is this one:  https://alloyboltz.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1176 , which are somehow both stainless and Grade 8.  I notice that they are all the same size as well. 

We will need new bolts for this engine.  Is there a source that sells a kit, or do we have to buy them individually.

Alloyboltz sells the entire kit but they're all $tainless. TA performance sells different kits for the nailhead.  I was looking at their head bolt kit and it shows only two sizes of bolts.  (You'll need one bolt about a 1/4" or so longer to mount the alternator bracket.)

ARP sells a kit as well but it's a stud kit, not a bolt kit.  Just start Googling till you find what you're looking for.  A lot on eBay but I didn't look at any for details.

Ed

I just talked with Tim at TA Performance about their head bolt kit.  They DO NOT have the longer bolt, nor do the have the bolts with the stud on top for mounting certain accessory brackets.  In out conversation, Tim told me "ARP can't make those bolts for us."  So, we now know that TA is a distributor of head bolts.  They have "exhaust header" bolts but nothing for "exhaust manifolds."

Hi Dave- are you still in Cincinnati?  I've got 401 bolts you could see if they are the right stuff for the ealier engines.

Sunday we have the Spring Grove Cemetary Cruise In- I will have several Buicks there as the Cemetery is my "neighbor" to garage.

C'mon down to the best show in town 

Also if you are looking for head bolts - I have a LOT of spare originals the would serve.  Your first post did not indicate you were looking for anything but EMB's.

Stainless and grade 8, now that's a deal!

Edited by Wildcat65 (see edit history)

I talked with Tim at TA Performance about their head bolt kit.  They DO NOT have the longer head bolt that goes through the alternator bracket , nor do the have the bolts with the stud on top for mounting certain accessory brackets.  In our conversation, Tim told me "ARP can't make those bolts for us."  So, we now know that TA is a distributor of head bolts.  They have "exhaust header" bolts but nothing for "exhaust manifolds." Header flanges are usually only about a 1/4" thick.

In my 1963 Chassis manual (and I'm betting it's the same for all nailheads) under "Engine Tightening Specifications," the exhaust manifold calls for a 3/8-16  thread bolt tightened to 10 - 15 Ft. lbs.  If you're picking them up at a hardware store you can judge the length you need. 

Head bolts are 7/16-14.  If those are the same size as one of the more popular engines then you could probably get them by ordering for it.  BUT you still won't get the ones with the studs on the tops.  Best bet is to probably take Ted up on his offer.

Thanks to all!  It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that I'll be buying these individually. 

I do still live in Cincinnati.  I'm now the Parts Manager for a large restoration garage ( Benhase Restorations, http://www.benhasecarrestorations.com/  ).  The car is one of our customer's, here for a restoration estimate.  A 1960 LeSabre white convertible with red interior, it has an export engine just like my old white hardtop with grey interior that I sold in 2008.  Deja Vu doesn't get much stronger!

B)

I picked some up from alloyboltz  about seven months ago to put a 401 in my 56. I had to get different years' exhaust manifolds to fit around the frame and steering box. They were not all the same size and they worked great. Yes they were stainless and Grade 8.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:38 PM, First Born said:

Probably off topic a tad, but what is an export engine?

Ben

In 1960 they offered a low-compression (9:1) 364 with thicker head gaskets and a Stromberg WW2 carb.  It was standard with a manual, but an option with the Twin Turbine.  As an option I think it was called the 375E motor, but I heard it more commonly called the "export engine" because overseas fuels frequently didn't have the octane to support 10.5:1 compression in 1960 and therefore that's what was sold for export order.  I went to 4 Nationals and the Flint 100th Anniversary Meet and only ever saw 2 other cars with this engine, one at a local show. 

I loved it.  It performed more than adequately, and still got as much a 17 mpg on regular gas without pinging.B)

• Like 1