Question on 1923 Dort Engine

ollinger123

Hello, I have a 1923 Dort Touring with a Falls 6 cylinder engine.   The car runs fine in idle with the choke pulled out 1/4 way, but when I push it in all the way in the engine dies out.  Also when trying to go up hills I don't have enough power to make it.   I few years ago I cleaned out the carb and put in new wires, but have not done anything with the points or coil.   Also, the vacuum tank does not function, but is still part of the flow of gas from the tank.   The gas is basically pulled in through gravity and syphon from the tank.    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks!

1923 Dort Touring.JPG

What is the make and model, including throat size of the carb, because I may be able to find and copy data for you.    One thing I would do is get or make an extra threaded plug that connects to the bottom of the float bowl.   Drill a hole through that and solder in a small piece of pipe, onto which you stretch/slip clear flexible PVC tube, with provision that you can fix the top open end above the top of the float bowl where you can check and measure the static and running level of fuel in the carb.  Use a big enough diameter tube so there is not significant distortion of your measurements due to capilliary action in the PVC tube.  The static level should be jut below the tip of the main jet. ( Obviously you check that with the carb fixed at correct inclination on the bench, so you can see down the throat, but you should mark it on the outside of the body so you can directly compare the fuel level to what it should be.   If the running float level varies significantly from the static level, You know to check the reason for that.  You can even find a restrictive filter of plant fibre compacted in a right angle fuel line junction, because fuel has been used from a can without a gauze mesh. In the 1960s, Ron Wilson, who was the best and most helpful advisor for old car carburettors in Melbourne, Told me there were only two types of carb trouble;  dirt trouble, and spanner trouble.

There used to be a few 6 cylinder Dorts around here back then, and more four cylinder ones that may have been side valve.  I also knew a Grant Six , with a similar ohv Falls engine to yours.  It was very complete and intact, stored ïn the big shed", ie under a row of pine trees.  The people would not part with it, but someone eventually rescued it for its rarity after the body had rotted off it.  One local Chev 4 owner altered his engine tune so it gave very respectable performance it sprints and hillclimbs.  It might have been interesting if there had been a stray 6 cylinder Falls engine to hot-rod a Chev 4 further, providing it was better than one with the "grass-hopper" front springing.