New one to identify

mrpushbutton

1 hour ago, Dave Henderson said:

I'm thinking it may be Marmon, ca. 1916.  I googled a picture of one with the 7 bolt 10 ferrule wheels.  Neat car, bald tires.

If you are referring to the black(?) roadster it has 12 spoke rear wheels (the mystery car has 10 spoke front and rear) and I think the radiator does not match.

13 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

If you are referring to the black(?) roadster it has 12 spoke rear wheels (the mystery car has 10 spoke front and rear) and I think the radiator does not match.

Yes, that roadster that you also googled is the one I referred to, and it indeed does have 12 ferrule rear wheels.  But the mystery car is very likely a "special", and could have had numerous changes and modifications.  Perhaps my optics are deficient, but with the dark angled picture I am unable to determine that the emblem is round rather than oval. 

7 minutes ago, Dave Henderson said:

Yes, that roadster that you also googled is the one I referred to, and it indeed does have 12 ferrule rear wheels.  But the mystery car is very likely a "special", and could have had numerous changes and modifications.  Perhaps my optics are deficient, but with the dark angled picture I am unable to determine that the emblem is round rather than oval. 

Looks round, to me....

round emblem.jpg

Almost certainly a later restyle of earlier car. Chassis could be anywhere from mid teens to early 20's I suspect even the rad shell has been modified. Not much to go on.

If someone went to the trouble of such a complete remodel then even the rad emblem may be a "special".  We are probably looking at a car where only the wheels / hubs , etc are from the orig. car.

Greg in Canada

2 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Almost certainly a later restyle of earlier car. Chassis could be anywhere from mid teens to early 20's I suspect even the rad shell has been modified. Not much to go on.

If someone went to the trouble of such a complete remodel then even the rad emblem may be a "special".  We are probably looking at a car where only the wheels / hubs , etc are from the orig. car.

Greg in Canada

I agree. Not much of it looks like a production car to me.

7 hours ago, oldford said:

That green chummy roadster is a 22 to my recollection. My 17 touring has 25 inch wires that are the same as those. Marmon 34 cars had wires from 1916 right up through 24.

The reason for my comment regarding the wheels was that they do not look right for the car; they are too small for the fenders. I reckon they are only about 21".  It looks as if it needs a taller, skinnier, wheel/tyre combo.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

When I first saw the mystery car on this page I thought of the car in the attached pic which I have only just found again, and I think may have come from this forum but I have no record. Still unidentified as far as I know. I suspect both may have radiators modified from original.

13567324_1037737453006217_6979773435164377367_n.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:31 PM, nzcarnerd said:

When I first saw the mystery car on this page I thought of the car in the attached pic which I have only just found again, and I think may have come from this forum but I have no record. Still unidentified as far as I know. I suspect both may have radiators modified from original.

13567324_1037737453006217_6979773435164377367_n.jpg

I think the touring car here with no radiator badge might be a Mitchell from 1917-19.17-Mitchell-5-Passenger-DV-09_RMH-01.jpgCheck the rear fenders and the windshield brackets. Could that be a Mitchell radiator on our mystery speedster??

• Like 1