1940 with 41 skirts

edward39

I have to admit I love the way this car looks. I don't know what what it is; the wheels are pretty tasty. But I'm not seeing what I'm supposed to be seeing here (and I think the '41 skirts will look weird since they're designed to follow the shape of the 1941 fenders).

Can you clarify, Edward?

3 minutes ago, smithbrother said:

Google,,,,images of 1940 BUICKS to see pictures of such.

1941 skirts don't/won't fit the fender profile, as Matt stated.

Best fit will be after market skirts, but I'm NOT a skirt fan, each his own though.

Dale in Indy 

I put them on and they fit perfect beautiful i was very happy . Going to do some body work and paint and then  put them on. I don't really like skirts myself but these are perfect for it perfect

I'm laughing, YOU DON'T LIKE SKIRTS, BUT GOING TO PUT THEM ON ANYWAY? 

Each to his own,  hehe  You need more lights, and a fox tail, maybe more bumper guards tooooooo.  Also some BLUE DOTS.

A good salesman knows when to quit selling, and often LESS is better,

Just havin some fun with you, ENJOY, only YOU needs to like the car,

Dale in Indy

Thats funny i dont care for them on most but looks great to me .but i only like to use gm accessories.love to see yours.no accessories just plan.. radial tires some average upholstery. Something somebody built. Please remember accessories are what makes the car. And please all those things you said are not on my car

You don't see the extra lights, extra bumper guards?????

I'm an artist, just like to keep my pieces simple, personally don't think MOST accessories make a car, knowing WHEN to stop adding STUFF is key.

Just my opinion, as stated, YOU need to like your car.

I'm sending you a PM, 

Thanks,

Dale in Indy

The '41 Fender Skirt looks pretty good on the car to me here.  However, why not use the factory bubble teardrop skirt that the 1939 and 1940 cars share.  That skirt is also shared with 1940 Olds, Pontiac, Cadillac, Ford, Packard and I think Chrysler products as well. Evidently Foxcraft made them for everybody those  years.  It can be identified as factory, not only by the bubble style (which some aftermarket makers might have copied), but there is a sharp tip at the bottom front of the skirt to cover the small rounded off front bottom of the fender.  The tip doesn't show on the reproduction skirt shown from the back I see now.  You can barely see the tip on my Sequoia Cream convertible.

39 Buick skirt rubber gasket on skirt.jpg

Our 1939 Buick 41-C conv sed RH Front.JPG

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

The '41 Fender Skirt looks pretty good on the car to me here.  However, why not use the factory bubble teardrop skirt that the 1939 and 1940 cars share.  That skirt is also shared with 1940 Olds, Pontiac, Cadillac, Ford, Packard and I think Chrysler products as well. Evidently Foxcraft made them for everybody those  years.  It can be identified as factory, not only by the bubble style (which some aftermarket makers might have copied), but there is a sharp tip at the bottom front of the skirt to cover the small rounded off front bottom of the fender.  The tip doesn't show on the reproduction skirt shown from the back I see now.  You can barely see the tip on my Sequoia Cream convertible.

39 Buick skirt rubber gasket on skirt.jpg

Our 1939 Buick 41-C conv sed RH Front.JPG

You are absolutely correct that was my first choice I have  went out and bought a pair of 1940 Buick tear drop skirts and I put them on the car but it looks so aftermarket it looked good didn't have that look to it and that's kind of why I didn't like skirts and kind of looked aftermarket just like some kind of cheap accessories but when I put these on there with the moldings and the five inches difference in size it just has a different look to it looks more of a custom look .that's kind of why I chose to do that route. With the 41 skirts it could have still been on a 40 even though they're 41 they still have leftover models in 41 and their years kind of go back and forth between 40 and 41. So maybe not made for 40 but period-correct

• Like 1

4 hours ago, edward39 said:

Please when I say aftermarket I don't mean any disrespect or anything like that it just because they put the same type of skirts on Buick Pontiac Chevy all the way up to the fifties on trucks

Aftermarket is aftermarket, no need to apologize.  All the skirts were the same for 40 GM, but so were they the same for Ford. Packard and more.  I was always amazed by that.  What really does look cheap are the gyp skirts that are flat, most with a flare at the bottom, and in fact look at the hold tight bars on the back.  Many gyp skits used little tubular metal pieces to hold them on.  If your 40 woody is a customized car, then whatever you do is fine, so long as you like the look.  If it is an authentic car, then it should be authentic all the way through.  If you like the '41 skirts better for a customized car, more power to you.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2016 at 11:21 PM, smithbrother said:

I'm laughing, YOU DON'T LIKE SKIRTS, BUT GOING TO PUT THEM ON ANYWAY? 

Each to his own,  hehe  You need more lights, and a fox tail, maybe more bumper guards tooooooo.  Also some BLUE DOTS.

A good salesman knows when to quit selling, and often LESS is better,

Just havin some fun with you, ENJOY, only YOU needs to like the car,

Dale in Indy

Reminds me of high school, bullying putdowns, then laughing, saying I was just joking!

Not sure I'm sold on the skirts, but I absolutely LOVE this car. The earlier photos with the open rear wheel wells make it look low, sleek, and sporty, but with the skirts it looks like many other '40 or '41 Buicks and even the wood trim kind of fades into the background again. The skirts become more of a focal point than the other modifications (especially the awesome wheels) and I don't know if that's what you were shooting for. Somehow it looks less custom, not more.

Either way, it's a great-looking car. Do what makes you happy, don't worry about what others might think. If you like it, that's all that matters.

• Like 1

If you look more closely you were not in the discussion of that issue. I made no reference to you at any time. What I did do was to hit "like this" on your posting earlier. That quote you got prolley got sent inadvertently. Some 'IT' person on this site needs to look at how that happens. Unfortunately this electronic stuff doesn't always do what's intended.

Edited by Guest
Dim bulb! (see edit history)

• 4 years later...
On 9/22/2016 at 10:43 AM, edward39 said:

You are absolutely correct that was my first choice I have  went out and bought a pair of 1940 Buick tear drop skirts and I put them on the car but it looks so aftermarket it looked good didn't have that look to it and that's kind of why I didn't like skirts and kind of looked aftermarket just like some kind of cheap accessories but when I put these on there with the moldings and the five inches difference in size it just has a different look to it looks more of a custom look .that's kind of why I chose to do that route. With the 41 skirts it could have still been on a 40 even though they're 41 they still have leftover models in 41 and their years kind of go back and forth between 40 and 41. So maybe not made for 40 but period-correct

Maybe you didn't have the factory skirt, but a flat aftermarket skirt.  Note there is a tip on the front bottom of the factory skirt to hide the little rounded edge at the front bottom of the fender.  I sold this car in 2019 and wish I had the skirts back.  They were the same as the 1946-47 Packard Super 8 skirts and the 40 Ford skirts i think.