Heartbreaker

detroitsoul

After spending the last four months trying to get my 1938 Zephyr going, the crushing blow came today.  The oil pan was dropped, cleaned, and put back.  The spark plug wires replaced.  Oil filter and oil sending unit was replaced.  We put oil in it to test for compression.  Something wasn't right.  Pulled the intake and its toast.  Doesn't look good for the rest of the engine.

Looks like you need a better manifold! Hot exhaust gas  from the exhaust ports on top of block plus corrosion have eaten the hot box out which normally warms up the fuel intake manifold during cold weather to stop carburetor  icing up. Cant see how motor would run very well or long before  the manifold burns thru into the intake system mixing hot  exhaust gas with fuel air mixture. Are the valve springs etc. burnt from the exhaust  gas heat? You could still do a compression test with the manifold off!  You may have to do a valve spring  job.  If you can get cylinder compressions up,  drop the pan again wash sludge out of valve valley area, fit good  manifold  and if it fires up  see what it run like and if its got any oil pressure..   

• Like 1

We are going to try another compression test with manifold off.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  I'm Stateside.  Anyone have an idea how much for a new intake manifold and a good place to buy one?  I've been using Boos-Herrell so far and I like what I've gotten but I'm not sure if they have it.  I took a quick look in their catalogue and I saw everything else but that.

Replacing your intake is not big deal.  I picked up a nice three stud intake for less than fourty bucks last week on eBay.  Pics can be seen in the below sub forum.  Exhaust manifolds likewise.  I did notice you have the manifold heater.  The exhaust fit up parts are a little different but can be found.  Mine was toast but because I come from a Hotrod background, was able to repair.  Engine rebuild, if necessary, will be costly.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

The only way you will get proper service and operation out of your '38 is to rebuild the motor.  It's not cheap, but patching it up won't result in what you expect either.  It needs 'hot tanking' for the engine block and rebuild all the way with new parts like rings and valves (might grind the old ones) along with any bad heads or intake manifolds that includes exhaust manifolds.  It looks like it's been sitting for a long time and never properly cared for along the way.  All the sludge buildup is a sign of poor maintenance and engine wear.  An improved oil pump should also be installed.  Boos Harell, Vintage Auto Warehouse (Alan Whelihan), and others have these parts along with eBay .  It's always buyer beware when buying on line from individuals as to the condition of used parts.  Heads and manifolds can be resurfaced at auto machine shops and reinstalled with new gaskets that are available.  But the engine block needs serious rebuilding if  you expect the engine to run properly and reliably.  And on the mainland there are companies that will do the rebuilding for you. The transmission probably has issued too!   Good Luck!.  

• Like 1

You might try Merv Adkins for the intake manifold. They also have come up on ebay several times. I recommend replacing valves with 49-53 Ford type with solid valve guides and seals on the intakes (Earl Brown has them). That plus a PCV valve for positive crankcase ventilation will help keep the sludge away and reduce oil consumption. Skip Haney did a great job rebuilding my water pumps with high capacity impellers. If I wasn't running a Melling M-15 oil pump I don't think I would have any oil pressure. Ebay also lists new valve lifters, if you need them. 

If you need advice on removing valves, ask. It can be a nasty job on old engines that haven't run in awhile. 

p.s. One of my engines had a rats nest in the valve bay. Yours looks cleaner.

Edited by DSpringer
afterthought (see edit history)
  • Like 1