1936 Dodge Water Pump Grease Fitting

Guest dwurzel

Guest dwurzel

I cannot find the grease fitting on a 1936 Dodge D2 convertible sedan.  The manual shows a grease nipple in top of the pump in front of the hose fitting, but there is no nipple there. (See photo)  When the engine runs, there is a noise from the water pump area that sounds like a bearing either going bad or needing lubrication, but I cannot find where to grease it.  The care was restored about 20 years ago.  I do not know if the owner installed a sealed bearing pump.  Anyone got any ideas where I should look for the grease fitting?

1936 Dodge Water Pump.JPG

Guest dwurzel

Thanks to all for the feedback.  I believe I am hearing a bearing going bad in the pump.  Of course, it could be the generator bearing, too.  That has two oil ports.  I just oiled them.  If it is the water pump bearing, is it replaceable or should I expect to buy a new pump?  Any recommendations on a source for this replacement pump?  Thanks, Don

Last I heard, they are making replacement pumps for the '35 and up engines. Should be able to order it from your local auto supply.

Not sure if the replacement pumps are rebuildable, but the original ones are and there have been a number of rebuilding services mentioned in various threads on this forum over the years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you still haven't figured out where noise is coming from try this taught to me by another old time mechanic. He used a long screwdriver but a long metal rod or wooden dowel will work as well. Being VERY careful!! Put the end against the bearing housings and then put the other end against the opening to your ear against your skull. You will be able to tell a failing bearing from one running normally.

I probably should have said this first but this method requires you keep the other end out of fan and pulleys and belts.

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)