55 Buick A.C. question

Kosage Chavis

5 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Kosage, got your email, will look through my box of pulley's and spacers and see what I have.

Also, I have an original copy of the PSB's as well as a Product School Manual, a 1956 Buick Wholesale Parts Guide and even a 55 shop condition Shop Manual I'll bundle to you, all for $75 plus the ride. If you still need an original AC Manual, add another $15. Cell phone pics to follow

Hey Mr Lamar.  So let me make sure that I understand you...you would sell me both of those pulleys, the spacer and 4 of those manuals for $75...then add another $15 for the AC manual?  I don't think I could refuse that offer!!!

2 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

Does anyone know who reproduces the AC ceramic resistor for the 55 Buick?  Can anyone provide the link if you know?  Thank you.

Maybe one of the boys can measure the resistance across the terminals and you can cross reference a modern replacement? 

Sorry Kasage, back to the subject here.  I may have what you need but since there are no parts numbers on the actual parts, I will need some measurements to ensure they are correct, so will post them here in hopes someone might can help.

The Water Pump:

Water Pump.jpg

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

The Crankshaft:

Crankshaft.jpg

This deep pulley was removed from a 56 322 that had an aftermarket AC unit installed. I am not 100% sure it is of the depth that is shown in the diagrams. This is the only one of these that I have ever seen. Anybody else seen one, have one, can take a measurement. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Note above that this is the harmonic balance that includes one of the pulleys, hence the difference in what is shown in the diagram.

• Like 1

Water pump: 

So you have the "deep dish" single groove pulley that i need.  The middle one in your picture is nice.image.thumb.jpeg.935a00e5acc4f0b21ed39d3e5075f85c.jpegHowever, you threw something into the equation that I was not expecting...the flat, single groove pulley in this picture.image.jpeg.0488c1adaa81143acd28a0b2b250c843.jpegThe guy that sold me the AC generator has the 2 groove pulley that would mate to this flat pulley.

Crank:

Once again, you have what I need for the crank.  In this picture, I see a single groove pulley and an associated spacer.image.jpeg.3b8b0352c788743b7972e1e9294ad3c2.jpegBut once again, something that I didn't expect...a "deep dish" single groove pulley that mates to the 2 groove pulley.  Again, the guy that sold me the generator has this 2 groove pulley as well.  The only thing about this pulley in the picture is whether or not it is correct.  

I definately want to purchase what I asked of initially, but now I am considering maybe purchasing the other "special" pulleys in addition to what I requested.  Obviously, that would be on the condition that the one questionable pulley is correct for the crank.  I suppose someone here has the answer, but once again Mr. Lamar...you do not disappoint.  Thanks so much.  I suppose we will work a price out once we get the prognosis on this one pulley!

Mr. Lamar, maybe we can figure this out ourselves.  Tell me what you think.  If you can find another crank pulley spacer, you could stack both spacers together and the regular single grooved pulley with the pulley laying at the very top.20160919_110721.jpgThen grab the "deep dished" single groove pulley...20160919_110559.jpgand flip it to where the grooved end is facing up.  Slide this pulley next to the one we just assembled and compare the overall heights.  If this "deep dish" pulley is a correct pulley, the overall heights should match.  The distance of the outer ribs of the pulley should line up as well.  Also, outside diameter of the pulley should match the outside diameter of any other buick pulley.  

Again, tell me what you think.  I could be missing something here.

5 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

What should it read?  Thank you.

On 9/17/2016 at 9:49 PM, Beemon said:

Maybe one of the boys can measure the resistance across the terminals and you can cross reference a modern replacement? 

In all honesty, I have no idea. But, if the resistor is good, it will still show resistance across the multimeter. If it's broken, it will not read anything. That being said, I would not advise using a resistor that has it's ceramic packing damaged, hence the suggestion for a modern replacement. The ceramic is a heat sink and an insulator. Without sections of it, the resistance wire will become extremely hot. The same can be said about the ignition and blower resistor. All it takes is for that resistor wire to jiggle and touch ground and short.

• Like 2

OK, Kosage (and other interested parties), a nice gentleman from Austin TX just went out to his shop and took a measurement of from the engine side of the top of the harmonic balancer to the outside of the outer pulley and it is like just under 4". So that deep pulley I am showing above is NOT the correct pulley you are looking for.

I have emailed you re the other pulleys and spacers you can use.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, old-tank said:

If the wires are intact and show continuity, the repair the ceramic , make it pretty and move on.  It does not get very hot in service.

Mr Willie, that's all I needed to hear!  I appreciate your encouragement.:rolleyes:  I will post my progress when the time comes.

7 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Yea, please hurry and move on, I feel bad every time I look at it, since I was the DA who dropped the condenser in the wagon on top of that resistor in the first place. :wacko:;)

Mr. Lamar, nobody is perfect.  You do plenty already.  As far as the resistor, my Dad always said, "There's more than one way to skin a cat."  I think I can repair it and make it look pretty, just like Mr. Willie suggested.;)  I think you'll be proud and finally you can break free of this guilt!:D