Oil Filler/Breather Cap Mesh

Wooly15

You could probably take a die grinder and remove the metal tabs on the bottom and pull the old mesh out with a hook. It would be a matter of re-inserting new mesh and tacking the tab back on to the bottom. My father and I were going to do this because my caps were also dropping sediment whenever they were set down with some moderate force, but I just opted to buy new Stant caps from the local NAPA. I wouldn't know where to get the mesh, but I can't imagine it being any different from stainless steel wool.

1 hour ago, Wooly15 said:

I was wondering if I could fold those tabs back and take it apart. I have an aftermarket cap on now and am looking to get back to all original.

Folding the tabs back won't buy you the access you are looking for. The tabs hold on the spring steel locking ears but there is still the tabs base once the ears are folded back. You can cut the tabs base away but then there is the problem of replacing it to hold the locking ears. If a guy was REAL good it could be TIG'ed back but delicate work for sure. The entire locking ears base could also be cut off and TIG'ed back together.    

The mesh is easily found. SS or brass pot scrubbies work just fine.

Or you can spend the time to pick the old mesh out with a crochet hook and unravel a scrubbie and snake it in.

In any case a fun project............Bob

15 minutes ago, Wooly15 said:

Haha! NOTHING is ever easy.  Is the original stuff stainless or aluminum? If it's the latter, I could dissolve if with acid as long as the cap itself is steel. 

Not sure of the material. May be aluminum. If so the best agent to remove it is lye. Does a good job, cuts the grease/oil and won't affect the steel cap. Doubt very much it's SS. See what your magnet says.......Bob

I've got to correct myself. I checked and the mesh filler IS stainless steel. Further complicating the job is a fiber gasket trapped in place to seal the cap to the rocker cover. That will complicate TIG or brazing. Of course an O ring or flat neoprene gasket could possibly be substituted for the fiber. Unless you have a lathe and are good with a TIG setup, picking and stuffing may be the safest bet as the least damaging first cut at the problem. Still doable but getting more difficult.  ...........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Wooly …. just a point regarding just using regular ol steel wool.  What you want is not a wool cut but a fiber cut.  The greater surface area is what is required for the breather dynamics to work properly.  Stuffing fine milled steel wool that one finds off the shelf is too fine and has little to know surface area.  We use copper or stainless scrub pads sourced from kitchenware sections of your store, but with the correct wide surface area of each strand.  They look kinda like accordions strands. Hope this helps …..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Smartin said:

These are available new....I don't know that I would go through all the trouble of replacing the mesh.

If his are like mine, they say OIL on both sides and not AC OIL. Might just be enough to keep them, but in case Wooly didn't know, here's a link to the repros: http://www.oldbuickparts.com/cart/oil-filler-cap-1939-60-show-quality-ac-p-4758.html

Of the two I bought at the junk yard (from the same car) it seems one had stainless and one had aluminum. Put some very potent drain cleaner (sulfuric acid) in both for an hour. One had a very strong reaction and the mesh completely dissolved. The other must be stainless because it's still there. Guess GM used what was available to shred and make filters from.

• Like 1