'47 Super Engine

autonut

My engine is bad.  I have a chance to pick up an engine, #54655105 which would make it a 1949 engine I believe.  Don't know if this engine is from a 40, 50 or 70 however.  How to know, from the engine #? Would this engine directly interchange with my engine?  I am hoping someone can tell me. Does this engine still have mechanical lifters?  Mine does.  When did Buick change to hydraulic lifters? I understand that the Roadmaster engine would not fit but how can I tell from this engine number since the owner does not know what it came out of.

Lee

Yes the serial # is 54655105 which would indicate a Super right?  But why does it have an original Dynaflow attached.  All the Buick literature states that they only supplied the Roadmaster with Dynaflow and only upon request.  Did they sometimes deviate from their usual practice?  This would have been a rare combination apparently.

Lee

I believe the mounts will be different on your 47 vs the 49 engine.  You say your engine is bad, why not just have it rebuilt ?

Hard parts are easily available and while you machine shop may balk, there is nothing hard about reboring and doing the machine work.

Well if you think the mounts would be different it has also been stated by one that since it has a dynaflow that it wouldn't interchange with mine which has a standard trans.  Thus the idea is dead it looks like.  Just that the engine was local and I could purchase it cheaply.  Yes it is a little premature for me to make assumptions regarding the existing engine.  But with a badly rapping rod when starting it up after auto purchase, a flat crankshaft journal is obvious. As loud as it is and how far it was driven and how flat the journal might be, is only a guess right now.  Maybe the crankshaft can be saved.  Too early to tell at this point.  But in addition, one cylinder does not have any compression.  This could be valves perhaps. Thanks for your message.

Lee

On 7/31/2016 at 1:29 PM, autonut said:

My engine is bad.  I have a chance to pick up an engine, #54655105 which would make it a 1949 engine I believe.  Don't know if this engine is from a 40, 50 or 70 however.  How to know, from the engine #? Would this engine directly interchange with my engine?  I am hoping someone can tell me. Does this engine still have mechanical lifters?  Mine does.  When did Buick change to hydraulic lifters? I understand that the Roadmaster engine would not fit but how can I tell from this engine number since the owner does not know what it came out of.

Lee

Suggest the book: "Buick technical tips"! Has all those questions answered and more and you will have good reading when you are old like me and wake up in the middle of the night from time to time! Advertised regularly in the Buick Bugle, done expertly by West MI chapter, approx. 20.00 and worth much more for reference of issues just like yours! Good luck! Trying to load a picture, loading.... wow! This takes patience, ick! You can see when a reference is good, it looks like this!

20160806_083819_001.jpg

Edited by Guest
Dim bulb! (see edit history)

Your crank may be just fine. I did many "back in the day".  Yuk.  If the car was not driven forever with a bad rod, the crank often took minimal work. Even just took shims from the rods on some and down the road.

If you decide to rebuild your engine, the rods can be machined to accept inserts. Probably cheaper than re-rabbiting.

Will you do the work yourself?

Ben

I plan to do most of the work on the engine myself except for things I cannot do, such as reboring, crankshaft & valve regrind.  Have had bad experience with engine rebuilders.  Paid close to $3000.00 to work on my '57 Buick engine and when we got it installed and started, the water after a short while spouted out of the radiator indicating a compression leak.  The rebuilder would not do anything unless I took the engine back out again and put it on his workbench.  Had to shotgun it and remove both heads.  Heads were not properly torqued etc. One was leaking.  Will definitely have to purchase Buick Technical Tips as it would no doubt be very useful. Thanks for all your help guys.

Lee

Can I suggest you buy that engine (and trans) if its cheap and not going to cause you financial strain, reason, at worse, it may have a part in/on it that you will need for yours, or otherwise, you could make it available for purchase off you and make someone elses day instead of it hiding under someones bench gathering dust.

I wonder about your diagnosis of the engine noise, without actually being there to hear it, from what you said " But with a badly rapping rod when starting it up" and " one cylinder does not have any compression", I would be leaning more towards a broken piston.

My 364 was locked when I got it, managed to get it running, but was the same, this is what I found

IMG_0173.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks again. Yes even though different there may be enough stuff to be worth it.  But not sure of interchangeability such as valves etc.

On my '47 the rap is on a different cylinder than the dead cylinder as when disconnecting the spark to that cyl the noise will reduce.  The dead cyl is in another hole.