Acquiring a title in Missouri

Bart55

I have a 1948 Dodge coupe. I do not have a title. I built this car for my stepson and is road ready now but... Looking through the information on the DMV website in Missouri without an original title,I will not be able to register the car. Has anyone had this experience in Missouri? Were you able to get a title? If so how did you do it?  The bill of sale is not enough anymore. Any advice on how to obtain a title would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The best of luck with this.

I have learned not to invest anything into a car that doesn't have a title.

There are companies that will secure one for you but it is probably illegal and expensive.

You might try a different DMV and bring a stack of receipts.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

X2 on the good luck. I bought a project car last week that has the paperwork. I just plan to sell it, but I am licensing it in my name for a full transfer before I do anything. More of a comment for the other guys; don't invest much in something you don't legally own.

The one I just got is about three pickup loads. Still gets licensed first.

Bernie

what I did was hire a retired judge who was still practicing as an attorney to do the paperwork for me to take to the acting county judge and he told the title office to issue me a title. less than a hundred bucks and pretty easy. this was in ohio but still your county judge can get you your title through the DMV.

As has been previously stated, no advice from anyone that is not based on your particular state's laws is going to help you.

I suggest you contact your DMV and simply ask how to go about the process of obtaining a title for the vehicle under these circumstances. Honesty is usually the best policy.

If that does not work, one convoluted method that I see from a quick Google search is that you could proceed on the angle that the current registered owner of the vehicle has abandoned it on your property. There is a method for a landowner to obtain title in your state by following the steps shown on your state's DMV website: Here is the manual that explains that process:

http://dor.mo.gov/forms/Abandoned_Vehicle_Manual.pdf 

• Like 1

Go to a human, stay away from bureaucratic websites. Take what paperwork you have, maybe a before picture. Go to a small town DMV. Stay away from a city office. Look helpless and a little confused. DON"T quote laws, regulations, and things it is their job to know. Slouch a little and don't look too tall. If you are a veteran, wear a ship or division cap. Hold your paperwork toward the clerk and ask "Can you help me get my old car licensed?" Open your eyes a little wider and slightly nod you head Yes. Always nod yes to every question.

If you walk in the door and see four very sour faces leave. Don't approach if they show any negative body language. I have turned around and driven 30 miles to another office when I have seen that. And you always need to look somewhat inept and in need. If it gets complicated don't try to help, just keep nodding yes. When the manager comes out, takes you aside, and says "Let me help you." You will know it's going to be OK.

My wife is a real rule follower. She gets frustrated with red tape all the time. I leave the house at 8AM and come back at 8:30. She asks where I went. "I ran up and got the car inspected." She says "You need an appointment for that." "No, YOU need an appointment for that."

Here's a favorite

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)