Exterior door lock mechanism

Guest 39_Chrysler

Guest 39_Chrysler

1939 Chrysler Royal Just curious and have noticed many other cars in pictures only have a lock on the front passenger door and on the trunk.  Can someone please explain why this is?

With the old cars with flat front floors and bench seats, it was a lot easier and safer to enter the car from the passenger side so as not to open doors into traffic. Today, you have to climb the center consoles to get to the driver's side , provided you can bend that much!

Some Model T's only had passenger side doors for so called "safety reasons". Many early cars only had the door key in the passenger side, it's not unusual.

10 hours ago, Digger914 said:

Darn good question which leaves me to ponder Spinneyhill's answer and wonder why the new cars are coming with only one keyed door lock and it's now on the drivers door.

Because every car sold in America today has power locks and a remote control.  The key lock is only in case the battery dies.

Guest 39_Chrysler

thanks for all the replies I guess I had never thought of the safety issue but makes perfect sense.