Replacing wheel studs on LF

Guest Grapeman

Guest Grapeman

If anyone is considering replacing LF wheel studs on Gen 1 Riviera, I just did it.  I purchased standard Dorman studs # 610-441, pressed out the old studs and pressed in the new right hand treads.  I am running a 5/16 " spacer because I am using "newer" rally rims.

They work fine and there is no problem.  Upper is stock left hand thread and lower is new dorman.

wheel studs.JPG

Guest Grapeman

Patrick

Yes, you need to run spacers, at least 1/4 inch.  I am using 5/16 so the rim will sit flat on the brake drum.  The spacer I used in the uni-lug 5 on 5 spacer.  On the holes on the spacer that are not used for the lug bolts fit nicely over the protruded "rivets"

that are on the drum.  I am using the later rally rims.  They have no center ring on the rear.  These are called the 895 rims.  As far as I can tell the only difference between these and the early rims is the backspacing.  The early rims have 3 3/8 back spacing and the newer rims have 3 7/8 backspacing.  I did not find it necessary to use longer wheel studs because I am using the "acorn" style lug nuts and they work fine.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 6:57 PM, Riviera63 said:

The answer is yes. My 63 Pontiacs that I had previous to my 63 Riviera also had left-hand thread on the left side.

Bill

63 and earlier Oldsmobiles are the same. It's not just the lug nuts, also the left side spindle nut.