Which year ?

I would suggest that this a very early 1921 Light Six.  The Light Six production started with serial number 1,000,001 in 1920 and around 7000 cars were made (no exact breakpoint was noted for the turn over into 1921 production).  1921 production was around 28,000 cars and ended production at serial number 1,035,002.  Serial number 1,007,986 would have been around the start of the 1921 model year.

Scott

4 hours ago, Stude Light said:

I would suggest that this a very early 1921 Light Six.  The Light Six production started with serial number 1,000,001 in 1920 and around 7000 cars were made (no exact breakpoint was noted for the turn over into 1921 production).  1921 production was around 28,000 cars and ended production at serial number 1,035,002.  Serial number 1,007,986 would have been around the start of the 1921 model year.

Scott

Thanks,

the old man I got it from  thought it was from 1920.There was some parts with the it,I will try to upload them.

On 28/6/2016 at 8:34 AM, nzcarnerd said:

I misread where the 7 was in the number. Yes was is probably built in 1920 as the Model EJ was introduced in April 1920 and, as Stude Light said this is a very early example.

These parts came with the pile,I presume they are Studebaker parts to ?

IMG_20160628_193443[1].jpg

6 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

That piece closest to the front is the auxiliary drive with the water pump and distributor mount.  The big round thing is the cone clutch and the aluminium cylinder head is up top   -    1921-Studebaker-Light%20Six%20Touring-22

Super and thanks for your help

The aluminum head is from a Light Six (1920- early 1923).  What nzcarnerd identified as a cone clutch is not from a Light Six, as the Light Six used a conventional plate clutch for all model years.  The Special Six and Big Six used a cone clutch so perhaps it fits one of those models.  The tapered body panels under the head and also at the back of the pile are the engine compartment side closeouts that would have the hood latches attached.  I see one of the four hood panels in the pile and on top of the hood are the light bar end brackets that attach the light bar to the front fenders.  The aluminum housing with the water pump attached is the Light Six accessory housing which supports the water pump, oil pump, distributor and generator.  This particular housing fits the 1920-1922 models as they moved the engine oil fill location from the fan mount (as seen in nzcarnerd's attached photo) to the accessory housing (as seen in my attached photo).  The gear mounted in front of water pump is not from a Light Six and should be a flange.

FYI - the two large holes in the aluminum head are most likely a result of trying to pry a 90 year old aluminum casting off of a cast iron block that is held on by twenty-six 1/2" steel studs.  The galvanic corrosion makes that a near impossible task without damage.

Scott

DSC07758.JPG

Yes, and there were huge improvements in your Dictator engine over the Light Six such as the full pressure oiling system vs splash lube and the transmission mounted directly to the engine.  Then a few others.....more hp (larger bore, higher compression ratio) water pump outlet directly into the side cover, etc.  But a lot of the base engine design was carried over for quite a few years.

Glaser 31, I am not sure of your intent on the parts but I might be interested in the accessory housing assembly if you wanted to sell it.

Scott

smrdeza@lentel.com

On 2/7/2016 at 1:40 PM, Stude Light said:

Yes, and there were huge improvements in your Dictator engine over the Light Six such as the full pressure oiling system vs splash lube and the transmission mounted directly to the engine.  Then a few others.....more hp (larger bore, higher compression ratio) water pump outlet directly into the side cover, etc.  But a lot of the base engine design was carried over for quite a few years.

Glaser 31, I am not sure of your intent on the parts but I might be interested in the accessory housing assembly if you wanted to sell it.

Scott

smrdeza@lentel.com

hi Scott,

I will mail you.I have no need for these parts.

Nzcarnerd, I didn't really notice the fact that the gear is set up with the two mating bolt holes for the coupling flange until I looked closer. The air pump accessory sounds plausible.  On the other hand, maybe someone needed a portable water pump and mounted the accessory housing to a board or something then drove the pump through the gear. Actual use is probably lost to history....good catch though to consider its use.

Scott

• 1 year later...
On 7/3/2016 at 5:46 PM, Stude Light said:

Nzcarnerd, I didn't really notice the fact that the gear is set up with the two mating bolt holes for the coupling flange until I looked closer. The air pump accessory sounds plausible.  On the other hand, maybe someone needed a portable water pump and mounted the accessory housing to a board or something then drove the pump through the gear. Actual use is probably lost to history....good catch though to consider its use.

Scott

Apparently this gear was for the magneto

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 10.10.21 AM.png

Bob,

You are right.  And both engines are from very early Light Six production cars when the magnetos were more prevalent.  I've never seen the magneto set up on a Light Six in person, only photos.

Scott

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)

• 8 months later...

Guys please help me I am looking for the mounting bracket that the distributor the oil pump and the shaft that runs the water pump. Screenshot_20180516-071807.png.c0b5f45e03b42216cb7f2d6912f08259.pnglike the one in this picture I I restored a 1929 Commander this is my last piece the one I have is cracked it cannot be welded

There are two styles for that housing....one for the 1920-1921 Light Six cars and the 1922-1924 Light Six cars.  I'm not sure of what modifications occurred to the part as it was carried into later models (Standard Six, Dictators).  You know it is rare to find a decent one as the water pump typically welds itself to the housing and parts break during removal for restoration.  I broke mine at that flange but was able to repair it and build the housing up a bit on the side opposite the water pump.  That aluminum will weld but is quite porous and dirty.  Also, plan on a slow heat and cool down to avoid cracking. I think I have the earlier design but it won't accept the oil fill/distributor support from the later design.

Scott