Proper Buick Identification

40mopar

Is there any correlation between the "Body No." listed on the firewall ID plate and the "Frame or Serial No." attached to the frame?

Which number is the proper one to put on the car's title?

I'm referring to cars before the days of VIN numbers.

Edited by 40mopar
Clarification (see edit history)

What year?  I don't know why you would have any info from a cowl tag of a 1956 Buick on the title (but I guess other years could be different).  The body number is serialized to plant production sequence, but means nothing to the state.

This is Chevy specific, but otherwise, pretty close:

http://www.chevyclassicsclub.com/wp-content/themes/chevyclassicsclub/pdf/tech0112.pdf

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)

Not on my 1939's.  I used a notarized sales document with the body number to get a title.  I had them put the frame number on the title after explaining the body number was really a less than correct way to do it.  The frame, engine, and id tag on the firewall all have different numbers.  Each can be individually researched to verify year info.  I feel the frame number would be the best to use as a "vin."

2 hours ago, 40mopar said:

I asked the question because the 1936 Buick that I just bought has the Body No. from the cowl as the "Vehicle Identification Number"  on the title.  Not sure what to do when I transfer the title to my state.

If the VIN is not supplied by the manufacturer, then the vehicle would have been inspected by someone from that state and some number used:  many used the engine number, but in this case the body number was used.

There should be no problem transferring that title, but your state may want to pick a different number for the new title.

• 3 weeks later...

Also it is different from State to State. Here in New York anything from pre Title years, they want the engine number. Titles started here in 1973 so anything older than that had a "Transferable Registration" as "Title of Ownership". Anytime you register a car that is older then 1973 you still get a Transferable Registration here. Other states want the frame number. You really have to look into the rules of the state that you are in. Dandy Dave!