New fuel sender on '65

Rivdrivn

Steve,

I just got what looks to be the same sending unit and had the same issue.  Since I didn't want to look around for another sending unit and it is not visible, I created the necessary clearance with the gentle application of a ball peen hammer to the tank.

Scott

4 hours ago, petelempert said:

Can't tell from the pictures: Are the holes mis-aligned? Is the OD that is too big? Both? PRL

This apt description of the issue is from one of the sellers on eBay:

"This is a Brand New Reproduction fuel sending unit for 1965 Buick Riviera models. It has just come to my attention that these sending unit's "suction" line angle is slightly off and will hit the side of the top of the tank when aligned with the mounting holes. This suction line will need to be modified in some way for proper fitment. All of the sending units being sold on eBay are made the same way since they are all from the same source."

Does anyone know where better ones can be had, e.g. OPGI, Summit, RockAuto?

1 hour ago, Rivdrivn said:

This apt description of the issue is from one of the sellers on eBay:

"This is a Brand New Reproduction fuel sending unit for 1965 Buick Riviera models. It has just come to my attention that these sending unit's "suction" line angle is slightly off and will hit the side of the top of the tank when aligned with the mounting holes. This suction line will need to be modified in some way for proper fitment. All of the sending units being sold on eBay are made the same way since they are all from the same source."

Does anyone know where better ones can be had, e.g. OPGI, Summit, RockAuto?

Have you checked the places you listed?  You might try The Buick Farm to see what they may have in the way of NOS stuff.

13 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Have you checked the places you listed?  You might try The Buick Farm to see what they may have in the way of NOS stuff.

Yes, and OPG seems to think they have a correct one but it's overpriced and I'm not sure I believe them.

15 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Steve,

Can you orient the lines in their proper place and redrill the holes using the gasket as a guide?

Tom

No, the angles are off too much. I'd have to take a hammer to the tank.

Anyway, I sent the repro back and contacted Larry for a rebuilt one.

• Like 1

Guest 19Silver63

I bought the one off ebay from a seller in wisconsin. It had the same problem. Took a lot of garage time trying to figure out what the heck to do and why the holes didn't line up.  I ended up redrilling new holes that lined up correctly. It was a real pita. If i recall, i was only able to bolt it on with 3 bolts, so i made a rubber gasket and used some black rtv as well to make sure it sealed. My 63 does not have air conditioning so it only had one pipe originally. I put a rubber plug on the return line side. Picture is of old one, I can't find pic of new one right now.  

20150919_130143.jpg

Edited by 19Silver63 (see edit history)

• 8 months later...

Nothing better to do on a cold snowy day in upstate NY - I know the post is a little late, but I gently tapped my gas tank so it would fit, the unit came from OPG, it has been in since the spring of 2016, the only problem I have is when full it shows 3/4 on the gauge - I spoke to a friend who said you have to adjust the float arm for proper measurement of gas - I am used to the 3/4 meaning full