How to mount an Optima 6V battery?

CarNucopia

Over the weekend, I installed a new Optima battery in my car. Since the dimentions are completely different from the previous battery, I shimmed it in place with a bunch of wood and secured it with zip ties. I was wondering what others are using to mount the battery securely? I've seen some CNC machined aluminum mounts, but they are too wide to fit in my battery box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mine has been in place with a HD cable tie for about 3 years.   I posted it elsewhere......needed something to cover that bright red plastic cover,

I found a inexpensive trash can the proper size, cut it down to fit and cut some holes in the bottom for the battery terminals......see picture

I thought about making a shallow aluminum tray but so far that has not happened

DSCN1435.JPG

• Like 1

For the underfloor Group 2-size compartment on my driver 1925 Pierce, I take up the space with four one-quart oil bottles (full) which have just the right amount of "give" and weight to hold them in place.  Never used the oil but it's handy if someone else needs some...  :-)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, michaelod said:

I went with a reproduction battery that was an exact fit into the original 1930 battery box.  On the outside it looks exactly like the original Delco, however under the covers it is an Optima.  I will be the first to admit it was rather pricey however.

http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/batteries/gm/G1-2-3-Delco.html

I wish I had seen that before buying my Optima. Do you know if you can replace the innards with a new Optima when the time comes? Or do you need to buy a new battery? 

1 hour ago, Buick64C said:

I wish I had seen that before buying my Optima. Do you know if you can replace the innards with a new Optima when the time comes? Or do you need to buy a new battery? 

Good question.  The top appears to be sealed but it may be possible to open it somehow to change out the battery when needed.  It certainly would be worth the effort prior to buying a new one.  When one unscrews the yellow caps on top and peers down you can see the Optima battery inside.

Guest jg_105

I will try to get pics later today up -  I put the Optima in on its side

It is hung in place with metal straps and rests on the frame lip on the passanger side of the car

I know a man who was charging one of those optima batteries while he was eating dinner and the thing caught on fire, burned his car almost up and damaged the garage.  I had one and immediately threw it away.  I'm sticking to the old technology with the long, skinny six volt batteries.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Plyroadking said:

Yes they are in series, 12v for lights and the starter and 6v for the heater motors, radio, and fuel gauge 

I'm thinking of rigging 2 Optimas in parallel. My NAPA tractor battery (19 inch x 4 inch original correct size) has run down to 1.14 charged after only 8 months, supposed to be 1.27. I'm thinking of buying new battery acid and dumping the old acid out. I'm a big fan of 1.27. If that doesn't work I'm going with two Optimas.

• 1 month later...

I put one in my 1936 Buick, I bought a plastic battery box off EBay that allows you to put the Optima battery in it at angle and them the plastic battery box mount in my car battery box with out shim it. I also bought a Delco sticker to make that box look correct from the outside. The only way you would know it's not correct the battery post are on apostle corners on top.