copper plate steel vs rubber fuel lines

Frank. I always use steel lines if I can. There might be a situation where a rubber hose may make life easier for you. If you do use rubber hose, make sure that it is compatible with today's fuel. 

Frank - no, they should not.

Over the years; aluminum, brass, copper, and steel tubing have been used from fuel pump to carburetor. The only rubber hose I can remember O.E. was from a fuel distribution log to the carburetors on a Ford tripower, but there may have been others.

A solid line is much safer than the rubber. There is always a posibility the rubber line can get against something very hot, with less than desirable results.

As Digger mentioned, steel brake line is readily available.

I have never had much luck re-using the lines with the ferrells. Others might, but with this type line, I just bend new ones and use new ferrells.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

Cunifer tubing. Copper/nickel alloy that's easy to work with, certified for fuel and brake lines, and has a nice satin brass/copper glow when you shine it up with steel wool, so it'll look authentic under the hood of an old car.

A little expensive, but I've replaced the entire fuel system on my '29 with the stuff and I love it.

www.cunifer.com

Frank, the ferrel type connection mates to a special fitting. Insert the male fitting on to the tube first and then the ferrel, insert the tubing into the female fitting and tighten it. I always insert the tube as far into the fitting as it will go and then tighten it, compressing the ferrel to make a tight seal. The tube and ferrel won't work with out the proper fittings. Hope this helps in answering your question.