Vintage Weidenhoff Starter/Generator Tester

48Super

I do volunteer work for the York County PA Heritage Trust. During a recent clean up of a storage area at the York County Industrial Museum, we came across this really interesting vintage Weidenhoff Model 301C starter and generator test machine.

This machine is awesome! It looks like it came from a yard sale at Frankenstein’s lab. The huge meters and big knife switches are very impressive. The pictures I’ve included are of an identical machine sold at an auction in Utah a while back. The unit at the museum is complete but not very pretty right now due to extended storage. I believe it will clean up very well with a little effort.

I would like to know if anyone out there has information about this machine. I’d like to find a manual or sales literature that could be copied and displayed with the machine. There does not seem to be much information available about the manufacturer or these machines.

What we have found out so far is very interesting. The guy I work for at the Industrial Museum went out to Feeney & McGuigan, a long time auto electrical shop in York and asked if they knew anything about the machine. The guy said “yeah, my father gave it to the Historical Society years ago.” He then went on to say that they used it until the 1970’s when it no was longer powerful enough to operate the higher output alternators of the time.

This machine was stored and forgotten about for decades and now I want to get it ready for display along side the antique autos at the Industrial Museum. Any information or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Weidenhoff20(1).JPGWeidenhoff20(2).JPG

Edited by 48Super (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
Guest Dansmith
On 4/15/2016 at 5:06 PM, 48Super said:

I do volunteer work for the York County PA Heritage Trust. During a recent clean up of a storage area at the York County Industrial Museum, we came across this really interesting vintage Weidenhoff Model 301C starter and generator test machine.

This machine is awesome! It looks like it came from a yard sale at Frankenstein’s lab. The huge meters and big knife switches are very impressive. The pictures I’ve included are of an identical machine sold at an auction in Utah a while back. The unit at the museum is complete but not very pretty right now due to extended storage. I believe it will clean up very well with a little effort.

I would like to know if anyone out there has information about this machine. I’d like to find a manual or sales literature that could be copied and displayed with the machine. There does not seem to be much information available about the manufacturer or these machines.

What we have found out so far is very interesting. The guy I work for at the Industrial Museum went out to Feeney & McGuigan, a long time auto electrical shop in York and asked if they knew anything about the machine. The guy said “yeah, my father gave it to the Historical Society years ago.” He then went on to say that they used it until the 1970’s when it no was longer powerful enough to operate the higher output alternators of the time.

This machine was stored and forgotten about for decades and now I want to get it ready for display along side the antique autos at the Industrial Museum. Any information or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Weidenhoff20(1).JPGWeidenhoff20(2).JPG

Guest Dansmith

PM Me at dansllc@verizon.net with a valid email address and I will forward a copy of the manual.

Dan

• 3 months later...
Guest jordonm

Hello,

I just recently came across one of these identical machines at my grandfathers auto shop.  He passed away several years ago and my grandma has several items she would to be sold.  Is there a market for these machines?  If so what is an approximate value for one.  Thank you very much in advance any and all help is appreciated.

This is one of the main links that comes up on google when you type in Weidenhoff tester. 

There is something of a nitch market for antique testers (I collect tube testers & have more than enough) but a lot depends on condition, both cosmetic and working.  If there are any capacitors/condensers figure on having to replace all of them & if that is a VTVM the tube(s) may not be good.

I'd have to see the schematic.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

There is very little market for these. They are very complex and difficult to restore since no parts are available. The motor on mine works, but all the wiring is shot. Eventually I'll rewire it directly to the ammeter and voltmeter, bypassing the switching network. It is great garage art 😀

• Like 1

What is the horsepower of the electric motor?  I’m sure the motor and clamp can be used with a DMM and clamp on ammeter to test alternators, just not full capacity. 

Oh, and a battery or power supply. 

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)