'56 Manual and Power steering questions

MrEarl

a bit confused about the differences in the steering column and shaft between '56 power steering and manual steering. As I read and understand it, power steering units have a rag joint but the manual steering shaft does not have the rag joint, is that correct.  If not then can a power steering shaft be used in a manual steering  transmission control shaft and outer steering column jacket. Asking this for the purpose of knowing what it would take to convert a 56 from manual to power steering. 

but my question is "Can a manual steering column (which for purpose of this discussion includes the steering  transmission control shaft and outer steering column jacket ie the painted piece)  be used with a power steering shaft. In other words if someone someone wanted to convert manual to power, could they retain their manual steering column housing and just insert a power steering shaft through it that would mate up to a new power steering gear box (with the rag joint). I suspect they would need to pull the  manual steering column in order to do it? 

The parts book calls out a different number for the reg. (manual) steering gear column jacket than for the power  but the transmission control shafts are the same. Have to wonder what the difference is but apparently a conversion would require the power steering gear column to be transferred over. Everybody concur?

18 hours ago, MrEarl said:

The parts book calls out a different number for the reg. (manual) steering gear column jacket than for the power  but the transmission control shafts are the same. Have to wonder what the difference is but apparently a conversion would require the power steering gear column to be transferred over. Everybody concur?

I do. That, or POSSIBLY modify the non power jacket..............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You would need to find a bearing to install in the bottom of the column where you cut it.   I've done this to an old international pickup that I put on a chevy c10 frame. (wanted to keep original look inside the cab. I LOVE original steering wheels)

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)

mods tend to make my hair get thin. I'd rather just paint a power steering jacket to match the reg jacket and swap it out. Pulling a gear box from a 56 is so much easier than from a 54-55. The steering column/jacket isn't that bad either.  But I was surprised that the engineers couldn't make one  jacket work for reg and power. The length of the jackets look to be the same, not sure what the difference is, I didn't look close enough to figure it out, I felt my hair starting to thin.

• Like 1

If they are anything like the late 50s mopar in general design, the jacket for the manual steering clamps to the steering box, where the power one doesnt (well does on mopar, but inside the car, where the manual is outside, in the engine bay). The manual steering shaft also goes fully into the box and is part of the actual gear drive assembly, the power steering shaft is attached to the box using a tongue and groove setup, held together with a roll pin.

Guess the manufacturers of the time figured that the power steering boxes would have to come out more often than the manual ones, so they made it a bit (not much really) easier to get out

A grizzle (because I am an auto electrician) is why do people cut the wiring harness when they pull stuff out, really, its not that hard to unplug something and you dont destroy a perfectly good (or relatively easily repaired) wiring harness and it could be saleable if undamaged?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ttotired said:

If they are anything like the late 50s mopar in general design, the jacket for the manual steering clamps to the steering box, where the power one doesnt

A grizzle (because I am an auto electrician) is why do people cut the wiring harness when they pull stuff out, really, its not that hard to unplug something and you dont destroy a perfectly good (or relatively easily repaired) wiring harness and it could be saleable if undamaged?

I have a manual steering 56 and will try and post pics, it looks a lot like the power.

I hear you about cutting the wires, and generally try to follow them out and unplug them, but this day I had so much dirt and PB blaster in my eyes I could barely see .  I suspect whoever buys this will be able to just plug their original current ones  into this column. 

Edited by MrEarl
Correct friggin autocorrect (see edit history)
  • Like 1

THAT  wasn't done by me<_<  That is where the horn contact button goes. That picture I was trying to show that the copper fitting inside is still good and intact. That should be worth a few dollars. But if that is all that is needed then I am sure I can scrounge one up  :D

• Like 1