Red's Parts Attic and Chrome Plating-

rlcokc

Am getting ready to have some chrome pieces replated, both pot metal and steel. Have sent a couple of pieces to Joe at Red's Parts and Chrome plating. Have also requested quote from Paul's as well as having local shop do a couple to see results. I don't know that Red's is much cheaper than the norm but saw some work on a bumper that looks pretty good. He says on pot metal he removes chrome by sticking in solution for short period of time and then hand grinds the remainder. Would like to know if anyone familiar with what I describe as generally the consensus appears to be that with pot metal if you remove chrome by any method other than by hand grinding you will destroy the pot metal. Anyone familiar with Red's or the process?

The best way to determine pot metal or steel is just the magnet test--is that correct? Magnet will not be attracted to pot metal but of course steel will? He does tell me the cost of replating pot metal greater because of the extra time needed to prepare. Always interested in saving some money but don't want to sacrifice much detail loss in process. Have attached photo of some of the pieces to be replated. 

Any thoughts appreciated.

IMG_5419.JPG

I have heard that pot metal is best restored in that fashion.  Pot metal is more like zinc, or aluminum, and will not attract a magnet.

Pot metal that I have had replated, has been the same cost as brass or steel parts, so maybe they didn't do that process.  The results were acceptable.  I wasn't going for show award winning quality, just shiny chrome, which is what I got.

The motometers were original, and I disassembled them for plating.  The plain dogbone is brass, the fancy one is a Buick pot metal accessory for 1925 I believe.  I use it on my 27-25.

I'd be interested to see how your plater deals with the handles with rotating knobs and the like that you have.  The place I used had to have everything disassembled.  Although he was able to do the landau iron hinges without me taking them apart.

012406 buick dogbone master six.JPG

122307 buick standard cap (2).jpg

I have heard of some issues with Paul's. No more no less. I used Bills Chrome in Jeanette, Pa. Had a complete set of chrome from a '57 Buick done. Excellent results! He also has a means of doing plastic handled knobs without removing the knobs. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

It would be very interesting to know what kind of quotes you are getting for that assortment of pieces.  I just received a budgetary quote from a well known plating company for fewer pieces than you show, although a couple of my pieces are a little bigger, and it was a few thousand dollars.....

As far as cost the exterior handles are $100 both from Red's and local plater. The cost for those items in picture was just under $4000. The larger pieces are pot metal and the smaller are mostly steel. I really don't expect the quotes from others to be much less and If I received a quote for 50% I would most likely be skeptical and afraid to use. Might have them do a piece so I could inspect quality but pricing seems to be fairly consistent. I have spoken to Joe several times by phone and exchanged emails and he seems to easy to work with--may be just a good salesman. He priced all pieces in photo as if pot metal and I have tested with magnet and will email today to see how much price effected by many being steel. The internet great tool and gives us all access to vendors far and wide but I would prefer to use my local guy for many reasons but most importantly I would rather deal face to face and be able to discuss any problems with project in person.

By the time I have everything replated I would expect to have over 5 grand in cost. It is not my intent to have show car and certainly expect to have more money invested than what I can recoup but it gives me something to work on and something I enjoy. 

I am currently putting the upholstery kit in my other 36 Buick, doing the seat covers, and never done before and learning as I go. Won't be perfect but kinda fun. I'll let you guys know what happens on the plating. This would seem to be a process where vendor very well could make a difference because alot of the detail in the piece is driven by labor as opposed to process. I've given the local and Red's a parking light bezel which are pitted and would appear to me to be somewhat of a challenge to replate. Red's charging 250 and believe local said 125-we'll see how they turn out as well as what the ultimate charge will be. Thanks for responses.

Rod

Not sure of your location. The only way I would send anything through the mail for plating is if there was no qualified shop within a 200 mi radius. I can not EMPHASIZE enough how important it is to meet face to face with the shop doing the work as each piece is evaluated and quoted especially so when 1000s of $$ are being spent. An added benefit is you get to inspect  examples of the shops work. Then once its shipped to you if there is a quality issue (it happens even with the best shops) then you have to deal with resolving the issue over the phone then mailing it back, etc.

$4k is in the ballpark for high quality work. I'd have guessed around $3200 but there are some intricate pieces there.

• 1 month later...

Received the replating both from local and Red's Attic in Texas. Had both do an exterior door handle and the local when thru had a few pits showing--I complained and he redid--unfortunately all detail was lost. Red's did a bit better job-more expensive-but detail of lines on handle lost. I have now contacted Pauls Chrome and a company in Canada. Those pieces with detail will be sent to one of the two. I have used Pauls in past ant the company in Canada comes highly recommended. Cost will be approximately 50% higher but certainly worth it. I am having to acquire additional exterior handles as the ones which I had replated I will not use. Should have gone with the better companies but was hopeful someone closer could do the job. Am having local plater do some pieces which have no detail and they seem to do that without problem.