1910-1920s LeRoi 4 cyl.engine

Leif Holmberg

A friend of mine has bought  this 4 cyl.LeRoi engine model 20 ,engine number 18666,with a carburetor Schebler model R .It looks that the engine has been sitting in a small car just becuse of the frame that the engine are sitting in.

It seems that LeRoi had a lot to do with Allis Chalmers in late 10s or early 20s.But can`t find any car that has used LeRoi engines in thier cars.

Leif in Sweden.

IMG_1295.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG

IMG_1299.JPG

LeRoi was not a common engine as all the cars listed for using it were rather obscure makes; Astra, Barbarino, Bartlett, Birch, Seneca and Steling (AMS-Sterling). There may be others as no list is complete!

Thanks hanski,that was what I find too when Googling Le Roi.None of the name that are mentioned are known to me.But it very much looks like the engine has been in a smaller car.

Maybe anyone else can have more  information about this unusual engine.

Leif in Sweden.

Le Roi built mostly engines for industrial use such as Allis Chalmers, I worked in an A-C parts warehouse in the early 60's and we had many requests for Le Roi parts for  stationary engines and  air compressors. powered by them. They even had some railroad applications at one time. Yours may have been a stationary unit repurposed to vehicle use during the war.

• Like 1

From the Delson Interchangable Parts Manual 1931 edition:

Pistons and pins

Le Roi Motor 2C-M floating type

With many applications ( contact me for list if desired)

Le Roi Motor 2C  ( set screw)

Allis Chalmers 1919-23

Day-Elder 3/4 ton 1917-19

Heider M2  1922-24

Parrett J 1920-22

Rock Island 1920-23

Stewart 3/4 ton 1917-21

I believe the floating type refers to piston pin type ( floats in piston and rod and has clips on the ends), set screw would have set screw in either the rod or piston to hold the pin in place.

• 7 years later...

Hello Lief Holmberg,

I am responding to this very old inquiry after recently becoming aware of it.   I am curious to know if you still have

access to the LeRoi model 2 c engine and would be willing to sell it, including arrangements to ship it by most economical means to Jacksonville, Fl., 

U.S.A.

Thank you, 

W. A. Price

sccars49. I just asked the owner and he still has the LeRio engine left,but he think it`s to much for him  to send it to USA. But if you will find anyone here in Sweden that can pick it up perhaps he will sell? PM with his e-mail adress.

On 3/11/2024 at 4:38 PM, sccars49 said:

Hello Lief Holmberg,

I am responding to this very old inquiry after recently becoming aware of it.   I am curious to know if you still have

access to the LeRoi model 2 c engine and would be willing to sell it, including arrangements to ship it by most economical means to Jacksonville, Fl., 

U.S.A.

Thank you, 

W. A. Price

I have a LeRoi 4cyl engine in power unit form with a pulley on the back. Turns over. The radiator was rudely removed,I presume for scrap. I did pick up a LeRoi script radiator at the Chickasha Ok swapmeet a couple years ago. I have no idea if it anywhere near correct. The model number is P2577D47. I'm in Cheyenne Wyo,a fellow from North Carolina is coming through here next month to pick up a frame and rear axle,he could probably haul it back that far. Price is $350 picked up,a little more if it has to be crated,then plus shipping. Holler if interested. PM me if pics are wanted.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sagefinds,  I am too new to this forum to be allowed to send a pm.  However, please send me some pics of your LeRoi engine , incl the name plate on the eng block with model & mfg info.  Do you have any other info about the eng.,  ie., year mfg?

Thank you for your response.  I look forward to finding out more about your LeRoi engine.

W. A. Price