Has Anyone Towed a Reatta On a Tow Dolly?

ol' yeller

I have towed several different Reattas without problems.

It could vary with brands of dolly.....Mine is a Kar Kaddy by Demco and I don't think it is the widest one they make.

I was concerned that the rear of the fenders of mine might hit the body so spacers were installed on the steering of the dolly  

to slightly limit the amount it would turn.

Outside to outside at the bottom of the wheel pans = 68 inches

I have towed my 88 3 times with rental dolly. The front end did rub the ramps when loading a little bit, caused no damage. The car was driven up one time, the other 2 times it was not running had to pull it up onto the dolly.

I had no issues towing the car at all. Just slight rub loading and unloading.

Note: my car had bad Struts at the time and had not been driven for many years so the front end was lower than a good  conditioned one would have been.

If you already have a dolly, Give it a test run. If not you may try a rental to see how it works for you.

Many years ago I attempted to tow or did tow my 89 coupe on a very good tow dolly. First of all the low hanging front would not clear the ramps. I attempted to tow it a short distance with the rear wheels on the ramps.  That was disastrous. Never again.

I bought the Black from a guy meeting at Jim Finn's house. I used a U Haul dolly and had no problems. Last fall I towed a parts grade Reatta with broken cradle bolts held in place with a ratchet strap with a U Haul with no problems.

Guest Corvanti

i never had the Reatta on a tow dolly, but many other vehicles.

remember, if the vehicle has an automatic transmission, the drive wheels need to either be on the dolly or the driveshaft(s) taken out or tranny damage will likely occur. :(

Edited by Corvanti (see edit history)

I've been considering this for awhile. First thought was to buy a 4 down towable car to pull behind our RV. After discovering the costs for the new car, the tow bar, the frame attachments, and a braking system I think a tow dolly would be a lot less. The Reatta is a heavy car but within the limits of my E450 RV. Putting the front drive wheels on the dolly should work. I was just wondering if the long overhang in front of the front wheels could be an issue, especially when turning. It seems some have towed on a dolly successfully. I may rent one to try it out before buying one. I think putting it up on a dolly would also cut down on rock damage.

I have a spare tire (for the dolly) mounted on the tongue of my dolly...and the Reatta does not extend enough forward to touch the spare.

The "Kar Kaddy" has a hinged tongue which is an advantage over fixed units,  this eliminates the underside of the Reatta dragging or scraping on any part of the dolly. 

If you were not so far away, you would be welcome to take a look at it.

Done it many time and many miles.  No problem.  Just be sure when you stop somewhere you can negotiate without having to back up.  Stopped at a motel late one night and ask the clerk if I could drive "all the way around the back"   She said yes and I found out the next morning that you could not.  Had to unload the car and turn the dolly around.  Wasted at least 30 minutes.

post-76691-0-16975900-1456969936_thumb.j

post-76691-0-36377600-1456969959_thumb.j

I have a steerable dolly and have hauled Reatta, Fiero( Backwards) and a 93 Grand Prix. Mine has a 2,000 lb winch and use it plus over tire straps to keep the cars in place.

Problem with an RV is that without a camera you can't see if something happens.

BTW I use 5 foot aluminum ramps that store in the TV. No problems with clearance.

My RV has a rear view camera that can be set to stay on continuously. I am looking at a dolly available locally new that has surge brakes and stowable ramps. It also has a pivoting deck. If it weighs in at less than 1500 pounds (I think it is well under 500#) the combined weight of both should be well below the RV's capabilities. My last worry now is for my beloved convertible to suffer the slings and arrows from the indignity of being towed behind the RV. I have read elsewhere that being up on a dolly is better for the toad than 4 down as the dirt and stuff gets flung at the undercarriage rather than at the shiney stuff. Our trips tend to be under 150 miles each way and having a way to do sightseeing or just get to the store would be great.

That is why I sold my 21 foot Vixen RV and bought a folding 27 foot travel trailer my Jeep can pull. When I get there, I open the trailer and drive around in the Jeep. Overall cost is a lot less.

I hear ya Padgett.  Our 2 previous RVs were trailers that I pulled with my '99 F250.  It was great to have a vehicle after camp was set up and I loved my old pick-up.  Serious health issues led me to sell the truck and trailer 4 years ago, but the wanderlust of camping was never lost. Fortunately I have recovered enough to once again enjoy the great outdoors but I had to compromise on my method.  The RV is much easier to set-up at camp and easier to drive, even with a toad.  I'm just grateful that I can still get out and see what this great country has to offer.  Thanks to all who responded.  I figured someone here would be able to answer my question.

Really any small FWD car on a good dolly makes a good TOAD. Just remember you can't back up more than a foot or two.

OTOH an electric jack ($100) makes short work of dropping a trailer.

Really any small FWD car on a good dolly makes a good TOAD. Just remember you can't back up more than a foot or two.

OTOH an electric jack ($100) makes short work of dropping a trailer.

Backing shouldn't be an issue where we usually camp.  Electric motors on the stabilizers will run another $400 and I still would have to struggle with the heavy sway bars and hitch. Having an onboard genny also allows for stopping in places without hook-ups, push a button and instant electricity.  My Class C also eliminates the requirement of having a larger tow vehicle and all that entails (maintenance, insurance, storage, etc.).  Using my Reatta as a toad keeps my inventory at 3 vehicles.

Guest Flacko9091

Have not towed any of my Reattas yet, but I have towed many Allantes on a tow dolly behind my E350 ambulance with no problems.

• 6 years later...

Left the vehicle in park while towing it since it’s a front wheel drive car. Towed the car from Wisconsin to Illinois total of four hours. Only thing I have to add is make sure your car isn’t 1/4 tank because when you try to start it up it might not start right away because of the fuel not being leveled. 

I have my own dolly, rarely need a trailer and U-haul has those. Tow in neutral but run strap from back of dolly and then winch tight. Also have over wheel straps on both sides. Has electric brakes so can control from driver's seat. U-haul uses surge brakes which also work well but reversing is interesting (best avoided if possible). Tow RWD cars (Fiero) with drive wheels on dolly. Grand Cherokee is a great tow car and U-haul rates to tow anything.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)