3.5 years in the making and engine needs to come out

alini

Was highly motivated this weekend, got the final parts we needed (except radiator hoses)..Just ran the oil pump to prime before dropping in the distributor and just found a nice puddle on the floor.

So now I get to pull the engine and see where I went wrong.  I know the cam galley plugs are installed and the rear main seal is new....so til I get it apart I dont want to guess.

Atleast the weather is nice here in Vegas for working in the garage.

lucky for me the rad is still empty, the fuel hasn't been run and AC hasn't been charged.  Took an hour to get everything apart, so tomorrow I have to pull exhaust manifolds, disconnect the trans and hook up the crane and pop the mounts and its out.   Im pulling it with all the accessories installed.  At least I'm going to try.

Edited by alini (see edit history)

I got everything disconnected today so tomorrow after work we will pull the engine.  With the large gaps in the flexplate and the torque converter slid back I can see an oil track coming from the cam end cap.  It doesnt run down the back of the block its clearly dripping onto the  top of the end of the crankshaft.   So this will be an easy fix and we can run the oil pump before we put it back in to make sure its not leaking.

The cap must be cocked just enough to get oil by

Check to see that the plug is in place behind the distributor shaft.  You can only get to this plug through the freeze plug in the back of the block.  If you search the forum, you should find references to it. I'm sure there are guys on here who have overlooked installing them when putting an engine back together.

Ed

Engine is out.  I had to remove the grill, bumper, lower bumper, headlight motor and we pulled the condenser and radiator support brace.  Had hoped we could just go up, but the engine hoist I have wouldnt get close enough.

Once the engine was out we removed the flex plate and what I saw as 'shiny wet spot' was actually the sealant I used on the freeze plug and oil galley plugs, so we pulled the distributor, ran the oil pump with a drill and sure enough the rear main seal is leaking.    Ive drained the oil, dropped the pan and removed the rear cap and it looks like the rope wasnt touching the flange on the journal.....ordered a new seal and a 'sneaky pete' tool to install the new seal.

I posed the question on the Da Nailhead forum and might as well ask it here......I think I compressed the seal too much when I installed it, the top half pulled out with very little resistance.  WHat else could I have done wrong installing the seal???

I copied and pasted this from Russ Martin's website. If you're contemplating rebuilding a nailhead in the near future, I highly recommend reading through all of Russ's tips.

Engine in car

"If you are installing a new rubber rear main where a rope seal is now the hardest part will be removing the old seal in the block. Remove main cap and loosen the other main bolts, screw a small sheet metal screw into the rope seal being careful not to scratch or nick the crank, as you pull on the screw rotate the crank in that same direction. Next install one on the rubber seals in the main cap and check for fit. Shorten seal as needed, this is explained in the seal instructions that comes with the seals. Remove the new seal from the main cap and install in the block, by fitting the seal in the cap first you only have to install the upper seal once. Now check the fit in the block and fit the other seal into the cap and trim if needed again."

I read the post and did a bunch of research on the seal.  Didnt know they had a two part rubber seal available.  I already ordered it, its installed and the engine should go back in the car tomorrow.   Thanks for the info.

My son and I dropped the engine back in the frame today.  I spent a few moments hooking up things on top.  Saturday I will get everything put back together and planning a Sunday start.

To get the hoist hooked up to the engine, I had to remove the following.  Front bumper, Grill, lower chrome bumper, headlight motor, lower bumper support, we removed the radiator support, condenser just to make it even easier....and the hood.

Now to assemble it all again