63 console oddball part

petelempert

I'm reinstalling the interior in my 63. I put the console and rear carpet in last weekend, now putting in the front carpet. On the front of the console, tucked way under the dash are two small panels that attach to the very front on each side. On drivers side, it's chrome and sort of good looking. On the passenger side, it's plastic and yellowed over the years. They seem to be designed to cover any wires coming out of the console from view or maybe to protect from feet striking the console?. Originally, I thought maybe the yellowed plastic one on the passenger side was back lit and was some type of courtesy light, but I no longer think so. The Clarks carpet I am installing tucks way up into the space where the two panels are supposed to fit. I think the carpet looks better than the yellowed plastic piece on the passenger side. What the heck is the purpose of these two parts? Why is one chrome and the other plastic? Am I the only one who has thought about actually leaving off the skanky yellowed plastic piece and leaving the passenger side simply carpeted? PRL

On my 64 there is only a chrome one on the drivers side and carpeting on the pass side.  The pass side may be missing but you would never really notice.  I have also seen chrome replacements on ebay for both the drivers and pass side. Unless you really want the panel there, there's nothing stopping you from eliminating as far as I know unless something is different there in a 63 versus a 64. 

I had the same question re the right side plastic piece when I removed my carpet. I think it is located under the carpet. I'll have to dig through my photos of that side before I removed the plastic piece.You'll notice that piece has three screw holes for attaching and it fits in a certain way. I'll get back to you with photos when I can.

DP-For sure it attaches to the three vertical screw holes at the leading edge of the console. Also, there is a fourth hole that I presume attaches to the floor. Ed thinks its a form of scuff plate. If that's right, it's just too damn ugly to put on the outside. Your theory makes it sound more like support for the carpet that mounts underneath the carpet. The mounting screws are not chrome, which to me indicates it was not meant to be seen. Based upon that and its too ugly to be on the outside, I think I'll simply attach it and lay the carpet on top. I love automotive archeology. Thanks all. PRL

Who knew? Here's what I'm thinking: I understand the chrome one on the drivers side-it serves a purpose (scuff panel for gas pedal), is visible, good looking and looks like something Buick would openly employ in their stylish Riviera. The plastic piece on the passenger side-it also serves a purpose (provide support for carpet) but looks cheap, is fastened with galvanized screws and looks like something Buick might reluctantly use but certainly wouldn't want anyone to see. So tonight, that yellowed old piece of plastic will be fastened to the console/floor then unceremoniously covered with carpet. It will serve it's purpose without ever showing its yellowed self. As far as additional cardboard, not even going there. Onward. PRL

I had the same question re the right side plastic piece when I removed my carpet. I think it is located under the carpet. I'll have to dig through my photos of that side before I removed the plastic piece.You'll notice that piece has three screw holes for attaching and it fits in a certain way. I'll get back to you with photos when I can.

Here are the pics:

post-99012-14314245772_thumb.jpg
post-99012-143142457391_thumb.jpg

Note the cardboard has water stains. That is likely from leaking heater core. (Maybe GM put the cardboard there to let techs know when the heater core was leaking??) Think the cardboard may act as a filler to allow the carpet to have a nice curve in that area.

Edited by DrP (see edit history)