Found this VW the other day.

K8096

Guest AlCapone

Too bad someone had not found it 20 years earlier! It should be a criminal offense to allow that to happen. It also looks like it had lots of company during its rotting years! Wayne

A 66 or 67+  with a incorrect 1600 dual port engine. Pans are easy to change, body could be salvaged. These days for the price of a restored car- the Ghia is a bargain. The body is a monocoque - all welded and leaded in, a almost hand built car by Karmann. You can't just remove fenders, they are part of the body including the cowl. 

The original lines come from Ghia, who did show cars for Chrysler look at the 51 Chrysler Ghia compared to the VW Ghia of 1955-1974.

Chrysler Ghia;

1953_Ghia_Chrysler_D_Elegance_02.jpg?34C

VW Karmann Ghia;

vw-karmann-ghia-1731.jpg

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

A 66 or 67+  with a incorrect 1600 dual port engine. Pans are easy to change, body could be salvaged. These days for the price of a restored car- the Ghia is a bargain. The body is a monocoque - all welded and leaded in, a almost hand built car by Karmann. You can't just remove fenders, they are part of the body including the cowl. 

The original lines come from Ghia, who did show cars for Chrysler look at the 51 Chrysler Ghia compared to the VW Ghia of 1955-1974.

Chrysler Ghia;

VW Karmann Ghia;

vw-karmann-ghia-1731.jpg

I did not know that Guia did a Chrysler?

I did not know that Guia did a Chrysler?

In 1950 Chrysler began a long relationship with Ghia. It began when they found out the Italian body builder could make a one off car in a few months, for about 1/10 what it cost in Detroit using union labor. From then on they contracted with Ghia to build all their show cars. Some like to credit Ghia with the designs, but all were designed in Detroit and the plans sent to Italy along with a suitable chassis. Ghia even built some Imperial limousines around 1960. The 1963 Chrysler turbine cars were built by Ghia, at least the bodies were, the turbine engines and chassis were made in Detroit.

When VW hired Ghia to design a sporty body for the VW beetle chassis they made a scaled down copy of a show car they had just completed for Chrysler. The main difference being they did not need a grille because it was a rear engine car.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

In 1950 Chrysler began a long relationship with Ghia. It began when they found out the Italian body builder could make a one off car in a few months, for about 1/10 what it cost in Detroit using union labor. From then on they contracted with Ghia to build all their show cars. Some like to credit Ghia with the designs, but all were designed in Detroit and the plans sent to Italy along with a suitable chassis. Ghia even built some Imperial limousines around 1960. The 1963 Chrysler turbine cars were built by Ghia, at least the bodies were, the turbine engines and chassis were made in Detroit.

When VW hired Ghia to design a sporty body for the VW beetle chassis they made a scaled down copy of a show car they had just completed for Chrysler. The main difference being they did not need a grille because it was a rear engine car.

It seems there are different accounts to the owner of the body style some say Exner, the others say it was ( including VW in a VW commercial) say it's Luigi Segre and of course the Ghia studio. The VW commercial shows VW executives meeting with Segre and a deal is struck.

Chrysler Ghia;

VW Karmann Ghia;

vw-karmann-ghia-1731.jpg

Look like a diecast

Guest AlCapone

"It should be a criminal offense to allow that to happen."

Why?

The answer is obvious ! To let a fine little car like that rot in the elements is beyond common sense! Wayne

Look like a diecast

Could very well be. I used it because in the Chrysler picture the light was hitting the rear fender just right showing the contour of the rear fender, The VW Ghia picture was doing the same. The two pictures showed best the similarity of the body lines. Die cast VW Ghia or not.

Posted Today, 09:26 AM

BillP, on 28 Dec 2015 - 4:25 PM, said:snapback.png

"It should be a criminal offense to allow that to happen."

Why?

The answer is obvious ! To let a fine little car like that rot in the elements is beyond common sense! Wayne

Not talking about the car, I have a 356 Porsche. It is also a fine little car. Why advocate a law prohibiting deterioration of one's private property. A criminal offense? Really? Do words have no meaning?

I note that this is not a zoning or "public nuisance" issue.

The best thing that can happen to that little Ghia is to remove any salvageable parts and let it die a natural death. There are thousands of cars, in that same condition, across the country that have been parked for different reasons. 

Guest AlCapone

Posted Today, 09:26 AM

BillP, on 28 Dec 2015 - 4:25 PM, said:snapback.png

Not talking about the car, I have a 356 Porsche. It is also a fine little car. Why advocate a law prohibiting deterioration of one's private property. A criminal offense? Really? Do words have no meaning?

I note that this is not a zoning or "public nuisance" issue.

Criminal offense was a figure of speech that you chose to take literally. Something like calling my car my baby when it is not a product of birthing! For those of us passionate about our hobby it is indeed a travesty! Wayne

The best thing that can happen to that little Ghia is to remove any salvageable parts and let it die a natural death. There are thousands of cars, in that same condition, across the country that have been parked for different reasons. 

I agree.  My daughters boyfriend has a 65 Ghia.  I'm certain he would love a few parts from this Ghia. 

I like to much the VW to let them die.... :(

There were also the Ghia-branded 450SS with Chrysler underpinnings and before that, the Dual-Ghia; which were both unaffiliated with Chrysler Corporation, even though they used Chrysler running gear and several other components.

Craig

There were also the Ghia-branded 450SS with Chrysler underpinnings and before that, the Dual-Ghia; which were both unaffiliated with Chrysler Corporation, even though they used Chrysler running gear and several other components.

Craig

Must have been some affiliation if there was Chrysler running gear and several other components.

They had to get it somewhere and I doubt it was the wrecking yard.

Must have been some affiliation if there was Chrysler running gear and several other components.

They had to get it somewhere and I doubt it was the wrecking yard.

The Chrysler parts in them were proprietary, as the sales and marketing of the 450SS and Dual-Ghia were not handled by Chrysler.   Bristol and Jensen in England also used proprietary Chrysler drivetrains, but again, were not affiliated with Chrysler Corporation in their design and marketing either.  A Chrysler dealer may have handled warranty & service on the drivetrain, but that was it. 

Craig