1939 Chrysler indicator dash light question !!

I posted this subject in the Chrysler forum and except for the courtesy of members Reg and Jack I have had little response.

My question is .. Above the Instrument dash cluster proper there is a tiny indicator light/bezel.

( however mine is missing) What is this normally for ??

I thought it was an overdrive indicator light but members Reg and Jack suggest it is a high beam indicator light.

Can anyone with C22 Chrysler ownership or experience advise the purpose of this little indicator light please.

My workshop books and other literature mention both overdrive and High Beam indicator lights..which is which and where are they located?

I would appreciate AACA readers input to solve this puzzle.

Rich

Thanks Keiser, Mine is missing but I notice in old 1939 Chrysler dash photos on the web that it appears to have a small round metal bezel.

The vacant hole in my dash is very close to 1/4" Dia.

If you say this indicator light spot is for High Beam then where is the overdrive indicator light feature as mentioned in my manuals, ? Mmmmn.

P.S I notice also that the Headlight switch has a small red "jewell" in the center of the pull knob, do you know if this is supposed to illuminate.?

Rich, I have the 46 dash board and I looked it recently. I wasn't really looking to see what it looked like but just looking to see if there was indeed a hole there (and there is one on the 46 that is not on the otherwise identical 48). However I am pretty sure that there is a tube of sorts that is made to accept a socket and bulb.

I can dig that dash out of the parts pile and take a picture if you don't find the answer and keep in mind that mine is 10 years newer.

I guess that question to ask is 'does your car indicate high beams'?

Rich, I have the 46 dash board and I looked it recently. I wasn't really looking to see what it looked like but just looking to see if there was indeed a hole there (and there is one on the 46 that is not on the otherwise identical 48). However I am pretty sure that there is a tube of sorts that is made to accept a socket and bulb.

I can dig that dash out of the parts pile and take a picture if you don't find the answer and keep in mind that mine is 10 years newer.

I guess that question to ask is 'does your car indicate high beams'?

Regarding indicator lights, I have just looked at the Master Shop Manual circuits which show that there is a dedicated o/drive indicator light in the o/d circuit, it powers from the o/d solenoid unit.

There is of course an independent high beam indicator as well, sadly I don't have a location reference for the indicator lights.

I'm including a link to a thread that I started some time in the past year about a '39 Chrysler that I was interested in. Post 16 is from a gentleman named Reg Evans, who had just bought a '39. Perhaps you could click on his name or avatar, go to his home site and send him a personal message. I'm sure he would be glad to talk '39 Chrysler details to you.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/261392-a-39-question/

tricky I have a 38 Plymouth P-6 and the high beam indicator is in the center of the head light switch as a red jewel.  The correct number headlight switch has a tube for the shaft of the knob and the light passes thru the tube to the jewel and comes on with the high beams if the wiring is correct.  It's pretty slick.

I had to rewire what I did years ago so that the high beam indicator would work.  I had a replacement switch in the car when I bought it with a screw on knob.  I had to replace the switch last winter, found an original then found the knob.  I always wondered what the light bulb was that was left dangling under the dash!