A '39 Question

Since no one who knows what they are talking about has answered, I will give it a try. The knob may be for an overdrive. If it is, you should be able to follow the cable thru the firewall, under the car, and find it attached to the overdrive unit behind the trans. One of us should get under and look. You are closer than I am.

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

Yes, that is the overdrive to direct drive control knob.

One knob position gives you direct three speed transmission and the other knob position gives you free wheel and overdrive.

Regards

John Spinks

The car is some distance away and owner doesn't know much about it. I'm just trying to gather whatever info I can in advance of taking a long drive. Since I first started this thread, I've learned how hopeless the dash plastic situation is, though. It's a shame. I've always wanted to own a '39.

Have you tried searching the WPC Club site for the plastic? I seem to remember a few guys that got together and had some of that stuff made up. I think one of the guys was Bill Names from California.

Guest Bob Call

The problem of deteriorated plastic on instruments may not be a problem for long. I say a program on local TV about an "incubator" program being instituted a local community college. One of the kids highlighted was a computer science major and he writes software to create 3D images and divers to recreate those images with a 3D printer. He said he has people contact him and come in with a idea and they work together to create the desired item with the 3D printer.

I would think that the damaged parts could be the base for a 3D scan and then refined with a CAD program to the desired product. Then a programmer could create or utilize available programs to drive a 3D printer.

If you really like this 39 Royal, make a reasonable offer and worry about the plastic later.

I wasn't going to bore you nice folks with details, but I did do some research and amongst the things I read on the subject (I think through WPC site) was that someone who seemed knowledgeable on the subject said that current resolution on 3D printers wasn't sufficient to do a decent job, but that will change soon enough. Removing the plastic and applying a faux finish to the metal underneath has been satisfactory in a couple of cases. The seller also makes mention of the interior condition, as well. I'm afraid that, in all honestly, I see a $6,500 car at best, though. Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts on the subject.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

I thank you for your thoughts, as well. You are probably right about simply painting them a solid, compatible color. I know that I read of others who tried with mixed success to faux paint them, and that probably played a role in my lack of enthusiasm. I have to admit, though, that what is probably playing a role in my thinking, here, is that I recall genuinely agonizing two different times over buying two separate '38 - '39 Hupmobiles. though they are conventional cars mechanically,  I love their rare and distinct Raymond Lowey styling and handsome lines. In both cases I almost made the commitment, but ultimately decided that their hideously deformed plastic (Tenite, actually) dashboards would keep me from ever being able to enjoy driving them. I can and do tolerate flaws all of the time, but right in front my eyes while driving seems like looking through a badly cracked windshield, to me. Back to the price for a moment, though...does anyone see this car as being worth over $10,000?

There is a process that might be worth investigating called "Hydrographic Dipping". It is often used on hunting Firearms to coat the gun with an excellent camouflage pattern.

This is a process where parts are chemically treated to clean and prime, then the parts are lowered into a vat of water with a specially printed/patterned thin plastic film floating on the top of the water.

As the parts are lowered into the water they drop to the bottom and the special patterned plastic film coats the parts with the chosen pattern.

This a fairly simplified explanation but I guess easily "Googled" over to you,

R

Edited by trickydicky43richard (see edit history)

There is a process that might be worth investigating called "Hydrographic Dipping". It is often used on hunting Firearms to coat the gun with an excellent camouflage pattern.

This is a process where parts are chemically treated to clean and prime, then the parts are lowered into a vat of water with a specially printed/patterned thin plastic film floating on the top of the water.

As the parts are lowered into the water they drop to the bottom and the special patterned plastic film coats the parts with the chosen pattern.

This a fairly simplified explanation but I guess easily "Googled" over to you,

R

I remember now having seen this process on one of the "How it's made", or other such science/technical television shows. It was really remarkable.

• 3 weeks later...

My plastic panels are long gone and a previous owner covered them with off white grainy vinyl. Crappy job. 

All of the dash knobs have turned to dust.

Is anyone making new reproductions knobs ? 

I'm going to remove the vinyl from the two panels and paint them a cream color.

post-79638-0-87645700-1442368039_thumb.j

Edited by Reg Evans (see edit history)