What happened to my car collection?

auburnseeker

Ok last year my fuel injected 60 Corvette turned into a Kioti tractor and a down payment on a bigger house (with room to build a bigger shop) Now this year the 49 Mercury coupe I had and half the money from my 1939 Buick Convertible turned into an excavator.  Hopefully I won't need any more equipment and can get back to car collecting instead of equipment collecting. post-86835-0-58618900-1448145961_thumb.jpost-86835-0-20812200-1448145979_thumb.j

Those are some odd "trades", but at least you have the opportunity to get back to car collecting once those projects are complete ... hopefully!  My cars were sold to keep my head above water, having no income since September 2013.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (awaiting new owner)
"When we make choices we gotta live with them" __ Darius Rucker __ 'Don't Think I Don't Think About It'

The idea behind the excavator is to put a road in to where I want to build my garage and do all the excavating and landscaping for it,  then sell the machine and from what I've seen recoup the majority of my investment and have all the work done with my labor so basically of little charge.  I was told excavating for the project would probably run pretty close to what the machine cost if not more. That wouldn't include any of the other tasks around here that need to be done.  Lets hope it was a wise maneuver.  Only time will tell.

• Like 1

Auburnseeker, I love that story !  We sold a 66 Mustang, a super nice 8-N Ford tractor, and an old Case tractor and the money magically turned into a Kubota with a front-end loader.  We used the thing 11 years clearing land, "bush-hogging", making and scraping driveways, having my wife set in the bucket and driving along letting her clean out the house gutters, mowing a mile and a half county road that led to our house that the county did not maintain, lifted engines, cars, pulled things, and the last day we had it, filled the bucket several times with the rest of our belongings into our container and my wife lifted it and me up to pack it all in,  and.....had to push the doors closed with it. We then  delivered it to the new owner down the road and got within 2 grand of what I paid for it !!!!   Good move for you too, I bet.

• Like 1

The idea behind the excavator is to put a road in to where I want to build my garage and do all the excavating and landscaping for it,  then sell the machine and from what I've seen recoup the majority of my investment and have all the work done with my labor so basically of little charge.  I was told excavating for the project would probably run pretty close to what the machine cost if not more. That wouldn't include any of the other tasks around here that need to be done.  Lets hope it was a wise maneuver.  Only time will tell.

"Wise maneuver", ya gotta be kiddin' me!  I think just about every member of this organization has, at one time or another, wanted to be able to operate heavy equipment and literally move "heaven and earth" ... well, at least earth anyway.  I have what's known as a John Deere Compact Utility Tractor(23 HP diesel) with a front end loader, and I can wreak havoc with that thing like you wouldn't believe. :o   I even occasionally accomplish something positive with it, like clearing drainage ditches, digging graves for the occasional body dump etc.(just kidding about that last one, but you get the picture).  Being new to tractors and (relatively) heavy machinery, I'm constantly awed by what a mere mortal can accomplish while operating such machinery.

Please start a thread to let us know how the project progresses.  I guess it's not an AACA subject; however, your goal is to build a GARAGE.  So that should qualify for the AACA Forum.

Good luck,

Grog

• Like 1

I finally got to use it.  We have been very fortunate in the East where I am with the weather, so I was finishing up other outside jobs.  I pulled all the rocks in my drive and started regrading the approach off my driveway to the new shop location which goes by an old Shed (still 32 foot long)  that I just rehabbed and closed in for the winter to put the tractor implements in to get some of my garage space back.

I'll have to try to get some photos.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the time to swell my collection probably won't be for another year or so and the liquidation of a couple of properties. I need to build the new shop before I fill it.  I started working on the driveway to it but we are getting close to the end of the season for construction. Planning your days around whether there is frost in the ground or not really puts things in perspective.  None today but it's a bit muddy after a full 24 hours plus of rain.  Good weather in the 40's this coming week but if the overnight lows are cold enough (20's) the frost will creep back in.  There is no sun either where I'm working so it doesn't thaw out real fast.  

• Like 1