1924 dodge sedan question

Dauphinee

Assuming your car is together and running, if you move the levers while looking in your engine bay you can see pretty quick what they do. One will rotate your distributor cap to advance the spark and the other will adjust your throttle the same way the foot pedal does.

I don't touch the hand throttle unless I want a little higher idle. Leave the spark retarded to start but once its running (assuming timing is set properly) you can advance it all the way.

Edited by EricH (see edit history)

Advancing the spark in gasoline engines means the spark will happen in advance of the piston reaching TDC (top dead center) of the compression stroke on a 4 stroke engine.  This improves engine performance in general (up to a point), depending on engine compression ratio, fuel quality, etc.  Too much advance can cause engine damage via pre-ignition.  Pretty much all gas engines up through the 20's did not have automatic spark advance which is why the lever is there.  When starting the engine, particularly if using a crank, advanced spark timing is not wanted as it can result in a kickback of engine in opposite rotation to cranking direction; this can cause severe injury to arm/shoulder of person cranking.  The lever allows the operator to manually decrease advance for starting.  On the Dodge, the lever can be treated pretty much as an on-off switch since some of the advance taking place is done automatically via centrifugal weights in the distributor drive mechanism.  When the lever is moved up the linkage actually rotates the distributor relative to the rotor inside which results in the spark being advanced by some number of degrees (of crankshaft rotation).  Further advance occurs at higher engine rpm via the centrifugal weights.  Automakers eventually got rid of the lever when vacuum advance was added (centrifugal advance still used also) and electric starters completely took over the starting duties.  The other lever is basically just a fast idle adjustment which eventually became part of the more common manual choke mechanism for starting a cold engine.

The ONLY reason for the lever is to make it easier to hand crank. Once the engine starts the lever is fully advanced and left there and all the advance the engine needs is mechanical in the distributor. It is NOT to be used as many try to adjust it while driving for different imaginary conditions such as going up or down a hill. BUY and READ the operator's manual for your car, it's called the Book of Information. Get the edition printed RIGHT before your car was built. 

There is at least one reason for a rolling timing retard. I don't know the specifics of your engine , but spark retard at unusually low speed operation keeps the engine running smoother , sometimes allowing the car to stay in a higher gear. My mid '20s Cadillacs have a 5 1/8" stroke. Using full retard on level ground , I can carefully get under 5 mph in top gear. The 87 octane gasoline we have today helps the technique. I accelerate using VERY gentle throttle , and advance as I am able to give more gas. This technique is quite useful in city stop - go traffic, and requires an awareness of conditions farther ahead than with a modern car with an automatic transmission. Just a little bit like driving a large heavy truck in traffic. Also , full retard may help you make top gear starts by picking up velocity first from full stop on a downgrade. These techniques were well known to chauffeurs of the day who wanted to provide the smoothest most comfortable ride. Ability to give smooth acceleration in top gear from low speeds was an article of pride in advertising cars with the ability to do so.

Hand throttles may be used for climbing long , steep , slow grades in a lower gear. Loaded with 7 aboard , my 1924 7 passenger touring enjoys this , and gives my leg a chance to rest. Around hilly Seattle , there are occasions where first gear must be used for several minutes. Off road drivers who have to traverse rock gardens with a manual transmission also apreciate hand throttles. Using low range transfer case , low gear , the hand throttle will reduce lurching to almost nil , by eliminating the right leg to gas pedal feedback loop. Some driving 90 - 100+ years ago was off road of necessity.

As you learn these driving skills , you will increasingly step back into the past , and get a peep through the keyhole into the lives of drivers who learned to drive in a horse drawn carriage. To them , mastering an automobile with a simple crashboxes became a bit of an art. For us , too . Have fun , and slow driving is safe driving in a very old car. Just as it was back then ! - Carl

• Like 1

It is nice to drive in high gear at very low speeds, but it is really hard on the bearings if there is any load (e.g. when you accelerate other than very gently). If you overdo it you can break through the oil film.

The reason they made a feature of this ability was to convince people to buy their vehicles when they had non-synchro gearboxes, which many people found difficult. A little retard could help. My father, born mid-20s, drove my 1930 Dodge 8 a couple of times; no pussy footing around, just crash it into gear! I just about had kittens on the spot.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)