rough idle 1936 dodge d2

Cratchet

awhile back i posted a question concerning this issue and i received many responses which are greatly appreciated. i had one more thought myself on this problem and would appreciate any feedback. i noticed some sooty moisture coming from the tailpipe at initial start up. compreesion on all cylinders except number 1 are 102lbs and number 1 at 95 lbs. could there be a cross breach in the head gasket at number 1 piston / valve? there is no water in the oil.

The moisture from the tailpipe at startup is common due to warm exhaust air hitting the could pipes. As far as the soot, there is probable some carbon deposits in the pipe. The compression usually only has to be within ten pounds from the lowest to the higest. You have that. Maybe the rough running is a problem in the electrcal system, Look inside the distributor for cracks ar burnt electrodes and check the sparks and  plug wires. When it is running rough did you ground out each spark plug to see if one made no difference in the rpm?

• Like 1

Your compression numbers are excellent. If the gasket was blown pressure would be practically nothing. Sooty water on cold idle is normal. Every gallon of gas turns into 1.07 gallons of water when burned, if the exhaust system is cold and the weather is cold water will drip out. The soot is because the choke is on.

• Like 1

A stuck valve would be zero compression. I have one. It runs on 7 cyls and blows the mixture back into the carb, starving other cylinders. Nothing wrong with 95 vs 102, I wish mine was as consistent.

Is the idle even now? If you think it is too fast, slow it a little, but not much.