65 Riv - passenger rear window won't go up all the way

Guest Rivdog

Does anyone know how to get at the rear windows in a 65? Mine won't roll up tight. I tried pulling it but it won't budge any more. It works from the local switch - goes up and down fine but doesn't meetup tight with the top molding (see picture). I didn't see any screws to gain access.

post-154459-0-75573200-1443450628_thumb.

You first must take the rear seat bottom out.  The armrest has the 2 screws that are visible in the front and then there are brackets that hold them to the floor.  They will be visible when you take the seat out.  Be careful when you disconnect the window switch as they become brittle with age.  Once you remove the armrest you will see a metal access panel with a few bolts holding it to the car.  Once removed you will have access to the mechanism.  The upper portion above the armrest can sometimes be left in place while you do this but if you need to remove this as well you will have to remove the screws and push up on this piece to remove it.  Hopefully you may just need to adjust the regulator and by all means, lubricate the entire mechanism while you have it apart. 

You really should invest in a shop manual for this car.  They are readily available from most auto book organizations.  I may have an extra one in my collection and I can check this weekend if you are interested.

You first must take the rear seat bottom out.  The armrest has the 2 screws that are visible in the front and then there are brackets that hold them to the floor.  They will be visible when you take the seat out.  Be careful when you disconnect the window switch as they become brittle with age.  Once you remove the armrest you will see a metal access panel with a few bolts holding it to the car.  Once removed you will have access to the mechanism.  The upper portion above the armrest can sometimes be left in place while you do this but if you need to remove this as well you will have to remove the screws and push up on this piece to remove it.  Hopefully you may just need to adjust the regulator and by all means, lubricate the entire mechanism while you have it apart. 

You really should invest in a shop manual for this car.  They are readily available from most auto book organizations.  I may have an extra one in my collection and I can check this weekend if you are interested.

Best advice I've seen yet. 

X2. 

Ditto. 

Just do it. 

What more could anyone want. 

I live and die by my chassis manuals.

Ed

PS:  As long as you're purchasing a chassis manual, you might as well get a body manual too.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Shop Manuals and Chassis Manuals are the "Bible" for your car, and contain a wealth of information.

They are also available in CD format for a computer - you can print 'hard copy' as required, for reference material. 

Manuals should be the first purchase after obtaining a vintage vehicle, it's the best investment you can make !

Pat (and all)

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. We are expecting 5 days of rain here in Southern NH so it will be a good time to tackle this project. I have ordered both the shop and chassis manuals last week off eBay but they are coming media mail and haven't arrived yet. 

Once I get it apart I might have further questions that I will post here. Thanks.

Rivdog. I found that once you have access you can use a Flux brush and and some lithium grease you can reach and fell your way into all the tracks and then by moving the window up and down you can oil the rollers. With the new grease and oil and moving the window up and down this should greatly improve the operation.