1923 Buick - This is Hard to Believe

Brian_Heil

This may take a bit to explain.

Did my BCA duty and took my 1923 Model 45 to Flint (18 mile drive to my North) for the Back to the Bricks event this past Saturday. Great show, good Buick turnout. I believe I was the oldest Buick. Why I even got my car's picture in the Flint Journal newspaper. If you are not familiar with Back to the Bricks, Google it. Roberta Vasilow of BCA fame was this year's Chairwomen and she and her team did a great job.

On the way home, the Buick starts to act up, that never happens. Hmmm. Seems like carb/fuel issue. Sort of rolls into and out of power like its starving for fuel. Glad I got out of the show area before it acted up. I limp home at 25 instead of 40. I decide that I need to peek at the carburetor. Either something is plugged or the float has come loose from the float arm, which happened once before.

Thursday night rolls around and the wife is not home, perfect night to make a bunch of gasoline stink in the attached garage. Off comes the Marvel carb bowl cover and darn if that float isn't loose. Well why not take the whole thing off and give it a good cleaning with the gumout spray can and tighten that float screw too. (the issue is the loose float cocks and then rubs on the bowl side and hangs up). Haven't given it a good cleaning like that in about 10 years, it's due.

About 8:30 pm the cell phone rings. My old buddy Jim Milewski calls. He has a 1923 Model 48. About 10 years ago I stopped to see him while on a business trip near Utica, NY and went thru his timing adjustment and carb after we had talked on the phone several times and set up the visit. He told all his friends, he had a Buick Engineer make a house call on his 1923 Buick and now it ran great. I was glad to help and it was a good afternoon. Again, Jim is a great guy. Wonderful low mile car too.

OK, back to Thursday at 8:30. Have not heard from Jim for years, like 8, nice that he's called. . .

"Brian, I've got carburetor issues. It seems like it's starving for fuel. I have the carb. on the bench in front of me. Do you have any ideas?" OK, this is where you can play the weird music. I'm sitting at my bench, cell phone on my shoulder working on my loose float on my '23 Marvel also. Not telling Jim, I describe all the features of the carb. and he says, "you're amazing, how do you remember all these details". I confess, I'm working on my carb. at the same time. So, you guessed it. He had a loose float too. Neither Jim nor I can believe it. What are the odds of two people working on a '23 Marvel and to get a call out of the blue after 8 years?

We agreed we should both run out and buy a Power Ball ticket. Didn't do that.

I still need to make a carb to manifold gasket. My search for my stash of gasket material/stock starts in about 5 minutes. Maybe I should call Jim, he may have an extra? Ha. He said he would call me back this weekend to let me know how he made out. OK, you can turn down the weird music now.

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 2

As Larry S wrote,"How strange but those things happen." I have had some problem with my 4 cyl. 1923 and 4 cyl. 1924 just becuse of the fuel consumtion.I started with my 1924,shutted off the  fuel tap when the engine was started and the enginge didn`t stop?I understod it must be the vacuum canister problem.Removed the vacuum pump and found the float was broken and filled upp with fuel.That then meens that  the fuel went thru the vaccum line to feed the engine? 

I did the same procedur with my 1923,shutted off the fuel tap and the enging was still running after a few minutes.Opened upp the vacuum canister and found another fault,the nozzle was losen from the nozzle seat,and when the needle was going to close the vacuum from the engine it putted the needle in wrong position and never closed the vacuum line from the engine.

Those problems seems to happend some years ago,but I hope I have fixed both of them this summer,the very cold and rainy whether this summer  have helped me to stay in the garage for a long time.The wheater has changed now to the very best.

Leif in Sweden,

post-76677-0-89417000-1440235618_thumb.j

post-76677-0-36762300-1440235632_thumb.j

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...