Need Stutz Expert

Guest davidneidell

Guest davidneidell

I am looking at a couple of cars and need an expert to help me do an inspection via Skype or FaceTime. I am happy to pay for the service, however, I need someone who really knows their stuff on 20's Stutz cars. Thank you.

Hiring an expert is the absolute best thing you can do. I don't think doing it electronically is that great of an idea. There are not that many experts and 20s Stutz cars. My guess is most of the people who know them well don't know how to do electronic or social media to look at the car. 1928 and earlier Stutz cars are rather simple. Just a A small amount of research should be good enough to let you know if the car is decent or not. Things like altered bodies or incorrect carburetors are common issues and simple to figure out. Whoever owns it should have enough background information on it to help you with the car. Early Stutz are not an easy sell. They relatively simple to work on. But engine rebuilds are extremely expensive. I recommend finding several current owners of a similar car and speak to them. It would be safe to post questions and get feedback on the site as long as you're not at risk of having somebody by the car out from underneath you. Good luck, Ed.

Join the Stutz Club: http://stutzclub.com/?page_id=25

Once you have the membership list you shouldn't have to make more than five phone calls before you get the trend:

"Oh, you're thinking of buying that car."

or

"Wow, I never thought that car would come up for sale."

Whatever make of car, the clubs are the best resource. All these cars are known by the members. And they usually carry a reputation with a history.

"There are eight million stories in the naked car hobby. And the hobby knows them all." No surprises; no secrets.

Bernie

Bernie;

I am sure that is true in high end cars like the Stutz.  In Crosleys I am surprised almost every week when another one comes out of the "woodwork" . 

Restraint is my least recognized attribute. :)

Bernie

Are we asking too much?  I know early Stutz guys are rare, and most likely in their 90s.

I would think anyone who knows old cars (20s and earlier would be the best) and restoration work could tell you if all the parts are there and the relative condition.  Engines are a hornets nest, around me all the experts are gone, its not how much, its if you can get it fixed.  If I were smart I would start a engine shop before all the old tools are scraped.

If you know the model number and year you should be able to do some pretty good online research, and be able to ask the "experts" the rest of the questions.

More details can help get better answers, although some of the advice above is very good.

I do not personally know anybody that is a "Stutz specific" collector. I do personally know several people that have one or more Stutz automobiles, Some of whom would be considered experts. I do know one family private collection that has six Stutz automobiles. And NO, I do NOT give out any of their names on open forum. I have been known to arrange personal contact if I believe it is warranted. Some of these people are older, some fairly young. One is in his dying days as we speak.

As previously mentioned above, specific year makes a big difference with Stutz. 

The Stutz market is rather simple. 1922 to 1928 is very, very soft. Series M and SV16 of the 1929 to 1932 is so so. The DV32 with the good bodies are on fire. You can pay seven figures easy. The 28 and earlier cars are not too difficult to figure out, and the money wont be huge. You can probably work through those yourself with some reading and making a few phone calls. Later models you want good help.