Just saw this on ebay. A shame someone was / is rodding it.

auburnseeker

I just saw this 32 Desoto Roadster on ebay.  Really a shame someone is rodding it.  Looks way to good to be rodded from the condition of the gauges grille shell and body. The write up leaves alot to be desired as do the photos.  I'm not sure the seller even knows what they are selling. What drivetrain does it have?  what's done to the motor.  Where are the doors?  What does the whole thing look like other than from less than 3 feet away?  I wonder what's been cut? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeSoto-/191644121617?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2c9ee13a11&item=191644121617

It appears to have already been "rodded".  That looks like a big block Chevrolet in the engine compartment, and I'm sure that other appropriate driveline/drivetrain modifications have been made. 

I'm a fan of hotrods, but I'm also a fan of untouched or restored original vehicles.  I don't mind seeing someone hotrod a derelict/wreck/rustbucket, but it pains me to see someone hotrod a "classic" vehicle that is either original or can be economically restored.

That's a fine looking Desoto, with lotsa extra parts, but I think that the asking price of $30,000 is about three times what the package is worth.

Just my opinion,

Grog

• Like 1

I imagine the grille has to be worth between 2500 and 3000 and the windsheild frame atleast a 1000 all replated like they are. I would be inclined to try and find an original chassis and put it back stock if it were mine.  Might be easier to find than one thinks with all the people desiring to build rods.  You might even beable to swap the rodded one  for a restored chassis with rebuilt original engine. 

Buyer beware! What you see is what you get and I don't see a car, just a pile of parts without a description. 

He certainly can't be charged with deceptive advertizing, after all, he didn't say anything.

I wonder if he is smart enough not to describe it and show a picture ?

Guest Skyking

Where's the DeSoto??  Like others, I find it hard to list a car I can't see.  A stock 32 is one beautiful car!

He does show close ups of the body in a few photos but no overall picture of the body.  Common sense would dictate your lead photo shows the whole car, but then again we see how the common sense thing is going now a days. 

I have seen worse listings but this one definitely leaves alot to be desired. 

To be quite honest it is a waste of time listing ! Time to move on. Wayne

Do you mean that "It's a waste of time to list something", or "This listing is a waste of time"?

I think I know what you mean, but I'm not sure.

Cheers,

Grog

Guest Skyking

I requested more photos of the body, fenders, doors, etc. We will see how badly the guy wants to sell.

There was a Metropolitan listed last year where 95% of the photos were posted upside down and I requested the seller to repost the photos correctly and fix his description which was a one sentence paragraph.  I told him he would have more interested viewers.  He got very offended and didn't correct anything (which BTW is very easy to revise on eBay).  The car which looked pretty nice never sold.....

Guest AlCapone

Do you mean that "It's a waste of time to list something", or "This listing is a waste of time"?I think I know what you mean, but I'm not sure.Cheers,Grog

The manner in which it was listed which may well be intentionally vague ! Wayne

Is the rear of the body a '32 Ford roadster repop?

Bernie

I does have some similarity but a 32 ford seems to come down more vertical and has a separate panel between the 1/4's.  It would be interesting to compare it to original photos of a 32 desoto/  I would still assume there should be a tail panel between the quarters that the seema have been filled on this car.