1955 Hood Latch Adjustment.

Paul Falabella

Always something. The hood on my Roadmaster now pops when hitting a bump(of which there are many here in the NE). The secondary holds fine but it's still i PITA.

I have the lower receiver(?) adjusted all the way to the left. Looks like it provides the most friction there. The upper post(?) looks like it can be adjusted up or down a little bit and a bit of travel in the bolts,side to side. 

Anyone encounter tis problem before?

Thanks

post-97046-0-46623600-1435106048_thumb.j

post-97046-0-84539000-1435106062_thumb.j

Sounds like you just need to tweak the nipple...

With a 3/4" wrench loosen the nut on the back of the pin. Rotate the pin a full turn in (righty tighty). Tighten the nut. It should work. It is really just a trial and error thing, but a slight tweak in should fix it.

• Like 1

It looks like the pin is bent. Maybe just an illusion. I had the same problem with my 55. No matter how I adjusted it, it still popped open over a bump. Finally found the bottom locking blade had a slight bend. Simple fix...............Bob

I have the lower receiver(?) adjusted all the way to the left. Looks like it provides the most friction there. The upper post(?) looks like it can be adjusted up or down a little bit and a bit of travel in the bolts,side to side.

Adjust so that the pin goes easily into the hole in the latch portion... should not touch on the sides.  Before you do that remove the latch portion to clean and lubricate and be sure the spring is intact.  Then lubricate the pin.  The pin inside the spring is tapered to push the latch aside and then catches the latch with a sharp step...sometimes just a 1/4 turn gets a new area of the step to latch it better.

Willie

All correct. In my case, adjusted as described the hood still bumped open. Turns out The latch blade had a slight bend from years of use/abuse. A slight unbending fixed the problem. Just saying............Bob

• Like 1

From the pix, Paul, I would say your problem is in the latch, not the pin. The latching blade is grossly bent. It should be straight. It also looks like the U shaped lower bracket has been hit by the pin and deformed down and away from upper latch plate. Possibly the latch blade hinge rivet is also worn. The pin may also be bent since it looks, from the pix, like it was striking the front lip of the latch hole.

My fix would be to remove the latch assembly, drill or grind the rivets out. bead blast everything, straighten the latch blade and dress out any dings in the edge, straighten the lower U bracket, check hinge rivet hole and blade hole for roundness, if out round drill to next larger size, re-rivet and paint as desired. The pin should then be checked for straightness. It's also possible the pin's threaded hole has been yanked out of alignment and the pin bent to compensate.

It's all a lot easier done than said and actually an enjoyable project..............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Using two large common screw drivers. I managed to get some of the bend out of the blade and I moved the pin up about a 1/3". The hood stayed shut for about 10 miles where it was  popping at the end of the driveway. Then popped on a decent pothole. I think I am on the right track.

• Like 1

Guest tommyduncan

I found the "pin" part of mine in the trunk. It doesn't look too hard to weld back on but after reading this I am starting to think that getting it close to the original position and operational might be a little difficult.

I found the "pin" part of mine in the trunk. It doesn't look too hard to weld back on but after reading this I am starting to think that getting it close to the original position and operational might be a little difficult.

Tack and try, tack and try.................Bob

Just a word of advice. I believe what caused my problem was closing the hood by pushing down from above. If you hold the hood a few inches from open and let go, the hood will close with less force. Slamming the hood bends stuff!

I ease mine down as far down as it will go on it's own (about an 1/8" of an inch from closing).

Then I push it down until the latch clicks.

Don't use the hood ornament for opening or closing

And, did I say to use a lot of white lithium grease? On ALL the moving parts (latch, hinges and spring hooks)

Slam it?  Yikes!  If I did that on mine there would be more than latch problems.  There would be paint gouges on the fenders from the hood hitting.  Those pathetic hood hinges on 55's will never allow even closure.  And I do have gouges from some dumb *&^% who slammed my hood.

You have to guide it down with your fingers under the lip until centered and the safety latch is engaged, then give it a quick shove to latch it.

Willie

Guest tommyduncan

Slam it?  Yikes!  If I did that on mine there would be more than latch problems.  There would be paint gouges on the fenders from the hood hitting.  Those pathetic hood hinges on 55's will never allow even closure.  And I do have gouges from some dumb *&^% who slammed my hood.

You have to guide it down with your fingers under the lip until centered and the safety latch is engaged, then give it a quick shove to latch it.

Willie

Just a word of advice. I believe what caused my problem was closing the hood by pushing down from above. If you hold the hood a few inches from open and let go, the hood will close with less force. Slamming the hood bends stuff!

I ease mine down as far down as it will go on it's own (about an 1/8" of an inch from closing).

Then I push it down until the latch clicks.

Don't use the hood ornament for opening or closing

And, did I say to use a lot of white lithium grease? On ALL the moving parts (latch, hinges and spring hooks)

Good info here!

...at least now I know how NOT to break it once I get it fixed.

1955 hoods 101...............When you open the hood pull it forward towards you as you ease it open and "play" the spring tension side to side. When you close the hood do the opposite while pushing it back. To latch it, close until it rests on the pin spring and press smartly on the curved front section. Keep the hood rubber bumpers in good condition and properly adjusted and the hinges lubricated. If you haven't painted your hood yet weld doublers where the hood flange curves to prevent future cracking. This can be done with a painted hood if you know what you are doing MIG wise. BTW. After checking out every hood fit that I've seen I have yet to see two that were alike and/or fit properly at all four margins and that also matched the fender radius. Buick addresses this in paragraph 12-4 of the shop manual. "it must be understood that exactly uniform fit and spacing cannot be obtained on all cars of a given model. ...........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I hope what happened to me doesn't happen to any of you. Both latches let go and the hood flew up over the top of the car. The hood looks like a pretzel. I was running 60. I saw what was going to happen and slammed on brakes. Luckily, it didn't break the windshield or mess up the hood ornament. It did put small dents in the tops of each fender. I'm guessing from the hinges??? But I'm not sure.

The lock nut on the pin on mine was loose and allowed it to wiggle side to side.  I used to have to jump and shove on it to get it to latch on the second click.  Never knew that was wrong until some frends looked at me sideways at South Bend and said "that things busted ".  And it had been like that since forever.  Now can lower slow to first click, then gentle push down from top front and its in. 

Just like them fancy barrett jackson cars on TV.

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)
  • Like 1