What is the car in the right background with the oval rear window?

nzcarnerd

Guest Al Brass

I now don't believe is is a Graham, I've changed my mind !  It does look American to me though and I think I have seen something like it here somewhere.

Regards

Al 

I for one do not accept it being a '41-'48 Ford.  Though oval, the shape and size of the car's window is different.  The slope of the rear  is  more vertical, fenders stick out more, tail lights and bumper different from a Ford's, etc.  Willys came to mind with me too, but I can't find a reference picture for comparison.   It may well be of foreign origin.
Perhaps what we should be mulling over is the '36 Fordish looking car behind the two bicyclists.  While it hints of being a Ford, the windshield looks too tall, it has  suicide front doors and conventional rear ones, just the opposite from a US made '36.  It also looks to have lights atop the fenders, and the bumper doesn't look like it has the Ford's dip.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

The pic can bee seen on this page   -   http://transpressnz.blogspot.co.nz/search?updated-min=2015-01-01T00:00:00%2B13:00&updated-max=2016-01-01T00:00:00%2B13:00&max-results=36   - just scroll down part way and read the comments for a list of the cars identified so far.  It is a typical mix of what would be seen on NZ roads in the post WW2 era.

The 46-48 Fords were imported and assembled here but the car in question is not one of those.

Guest Al Brass

I have noted the similarity to a WO, the rear window is wrong but it is close to a '38 WO Coupe though.  I wonder if it is a Colonial body?

Al

This still bothers me. I would have to guess with the photo being from 1949 and New Zealand, that the car is quite possibly of a foreign marque. Reviewing my comments from above and the mid to late 40's Ford back glass, I see it to not be as small and not a true oval. The window reminds me of an early VW Beetle. http://www.coachbuild.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=35236

post-123026-0-22818000-1435686156_thumb.

Edited by Woodfiddler (see edit history)

I for one do not accept it being a '41-'48 Ford.  Though oval, the shape and size of the car's window is different.  The slope of the rear  is  more vertical, fenders stick out more, tail lights and bumper different from a Ford's, etc.  Willys came to mind with me too, but I can't find a reference picture for comparison.   It may well be of foreign origin.

Perhaps what we should be mulling over is the '36 Fordish looking car behind the two bicyclists.  While it hints of being a Ford, the windshield looks too tall, it has  suicide front doors and conventional rear ones, just the opposite from a US made '36.  It also looks to have lights atop the fenders, and the bumper doesn't look like it has the Ford's dip.

I think the car behind the cyclists is an Austin 12 or 16 of 1940 to 46 vintage.

Terry

I'm skeptical,  here are some differences; The Taurus, if viewed from the same angle, would have the window nearer the top.  The back of the mystery car looks almost vertical.  It has a belt molding that goes around the back.  There is something above the bumper's center that doesn't look like a handle.  Curiously, the mystery car has what could be a door handle on the back to the right, which makes me wonder if it is actually a panel delivery with the door outline not showing up in the fuzzy picture.

I agree with Dave. While the center of the bumper could be an over rider to protect the trunk handle. The tail light on the left side looks to big and seems to be mounted on the body not the fender. The object/shadow at the extreme right might be the license plate. As with Dave the back of the mystery car looks alot more vertical to me than the Ford.  

Guest stephen48

It looks like a 1937 - 1938 Willys with a dirty or misty back window.Definately not a Ford .Willys were very common here.

Guest Al Brass

I believe the item in the center above the bumper is a towbar tongue, without the ball.  This leads me to think the car in question would have had enough power to tow a trailer.

Regards

Al