Newbie from Seattle

bodayguy

I just purchased a black 64 Riv.

Very excited, it's pretty much my first classic car.

If anyone has tips for finding interior parts (I need a turn signal knob especially) that aren't on OPGI, I'd love to see links or tips. eBay ought to be my friend for awhile. Also I need the air cleaner "Wildcat" sticker.

Looking forward to reading through the forums.

Welcome to the forum. You'd better post some pictures of your car or you'll be hounded until you do. :rolleyes: About the only place you'll find a turn signal knob is on the end of a turn signal stalk. That part unscrews easily from within the column. Most likely someone parting out a car. The knobs are color coded to the interior so you'll also need to advise any seller what color you want. If you join the Riviera Owners Assn (link in my signature) you'll get a bi-monthly magazine chocked full of vendor and guys parting out cars. Gene Guarnere comes to mind for a part like this.

CARS Inc., has the air cleaner decals. When you ask for the "Wildcat" sticker, I'm assuming you mean the large red circular one that goes across the air cleaner lid. Only the '63 Riviera had the silver wildcat decal on the snorkel. If it is the large red "sticker" that you're looking for, go for the screen printed aluminum disk, not the decal.

Ed

If anyone has tips for finding interior parts (I need a turn signal knob especially) that aren't on OPGI, I'd love to see links or tips. eBay ought to be my friend for awhile. Also I need the air cleaner "Wildcat" sticker.

black on black from Poulsbo area?

post-40529-143142980042_thumb.jpg

ohhhhhh,that is a beauty!!! Welcome aboard,look forward to seeing some pictures. There's also a sticky above for posting pics

...guys here like first names too, so when u get a chance fill that in on your profile page

What he said...

Guest dwhiteside64
Only the '63 Riviera had the silver wildcat decal on the snorkel..... Ed

I have a copy of a road test performed on a '64 which appeared in Car and Driver December 1963 which shows a wildcat decal on the snorkel (see page 28). Maybe these were put on earlier production '64s???????

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/members/AardvarkPublisherAttachments/9990454986678/1963-12_CD_1964_Buick_Riviera_Test_1-8.pdf

That must have been an early production / pre-production car. It was only used on the '63's red air cleaner.

What is the production code date on your data plate - a two digit number for the month, and an upper case letter - A through E - for the week. The FB, Flint production sequence number - would be helpful as well.

I'm sure that others will chime in here as well.

Ed

PS - I just went back and read the accompanying article. I think the author liked this car. About the only things he commented on in a negative way were the tilt wheel and the fact that the air conditioner blew the ashes off his cigarette before he could get it to the ash tray. It contains a very good description of the ST400 Transmission and how it operates. The illustrations are very enlightening as well. I especially like two of them: steering wheel angle need for a specified turning circle as different speeds, and the one that shows at which rpm's you get the most from your engine. One thing I noted in one of the illustrations is the inclusion of a rear end reaction member. That didn't make it into production.

Edited by RivNut
Added PS (see edit history)

Tilt wheel was an option on 63 and 64 models, but standard on the 65. If you'll post a picture of your data plate, it can be decoded to tell of of certain options (those installed on the back half of the car at the Flint plant before being sent to the final assembly plant..) Others that could be added as the car went along the assembly line will not be noted on the data plate. Tilt wheel is one that will not be noted.

Ed