1934 Buick on Ebay

bob duffer

You might be able to have mine for a bit less...(LOL)

and this is what they look like without modification...

Actually that is a very nice Street Rod !!

post-54863-143142929364_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142929374_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142929385_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142929387_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142929389_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142929404_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bleach, - I appreciate the compliment - but I wasn't trying to hijack the thread. Most of us here appreciate the work which goes into a Streetrod, but prefer originality as well. My 1934 was a Central Valley California car from new until 1970, and then babied by a BCA member in Colorado Springs until I brought her home to Louisiana in 1995. She was our Tour/Driver until 2006 when we decided to do a few repairs which turned into a professional 5-year restoration. Since then she has been awarded all of her AACA Recognition from First Junior all the way to Senior Grand National.

I can't help but wonder if I really should let her go, now that we do more of our touring in the '37 Buick, '41 & '54 Caddys, & '30 Packard.

Of course it would have to be only to the "right" kind of owner.......

but if she went to another home, I'd have room for another Brass Car - hopefully a 1915 or early 1916 Cadillac Touring ?

Then again, I should probably sell the 1970 Cadillac triple-black convertible -

and the 1986 3/4 ton 2500 Suburban, and ......

post-54863-14314292943_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142929443_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142929455_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142929467_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142929479_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142929491_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142929502_thumb.jpg

I think this might have been my car. I was the third owner and it had been garaged since 1937. I rebuilt the head on it and it ran great. I bought another car so something had to go. I sold it to a guy who never mentioned rodding it until he picked it up. Mentioned that he was going to put a trunk rack on the back. Asked him where he would put the spare? "Not going to need it." I felt like crap. The car was a nice original. Not minty like Marty's but a great driver. The new independent front suspension made such a difference in the ride compared to my 32. Hope it's not mine. That is the ground reflected in the paint on the side of the car.

post-30973-143142929709_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, as hard as we may want to try and keep our cars out of the hands of these modifiers, hot rodders, street rodders, it is impossible to do. Even if I will my favorite car to the AACA Museum there is no way they can or will guarantee it will stay there even though I am a National Past President. It is a sad situation. Marty, your car is gorgeous, although I prefer the Series 40 because it has the more modern engine with the downdraft carburetor. What would you feel like if you sold that car and it ended up in the hands of a street rodder? The idea makes me sick, but trying to do anything about keeping my cars from ever getting to a modifier is like stopping the rain or changing the weather.

I think this might have been my car. I was the third owner and it had been garaged since 1937. I rebuilt the head on it and it ran great. I bought another car so something had to go. I sold it to a guy who never mentioned rodding it until he picked it up. Mentioned that he was going to put a trunk rack on the back. Asked him where he would put the spare? "Not going to need it." I felt like crap. The car was a nice original. Not minty like Marty's but a great driver. The new independent front suspension made such a difference in the ride compared to my 32. Hope it's not mine. That is the ground reflected in the paint on the side of the car.

I've always liked this body style of upper end models by different manufacturers. These cars look best restored to their original stately appearances.

If you're brave enough you could check again the vin in the listing.

Unfortunately, as hard as we may want to try and keep our cars out of the hands of these modifiers, hot rodders, street rodders, it is impossible to do. Even if I will my favorite car to the AACA Museum there is no way they can or will guarantee it will stay there even though I am a National Past President. It is a sad situation. Marty, your car is gorgeous, although I prefer the Series 40 because it has the more modern engine with the downdraft carburetor. What would you feel like if you sold that car and it ended up in the hands of a street rodder? The idea makes me sick, but trying to do anything about keeping my cars from ever getting to a modifier is like stopping the rain or changing the weather.

Earl,

You, of course, are correct. Try as we might, we cannot control what happens to our cars once they leave our stewardship - regardless of what a purchaser might promise. He could change his mind, or could later sell to another individual. We (many of us) remember the late Bob Thurstone and the wonderful totally original 1930 Packard 733 convertible coupe which he and Betty drove on so many Glidden Tours - and they did drive them to and from tours as well. I drove along with them on the 1996 Glidden from Birmingham, AL to Asheville, NC where the tour then headed for Dearborn, MI. Well, now that Packard, which was sold to someone in Ohio, belongs to a gentleman in Michigan who is having it "modernized" with newer suspension, steering, and a small-block Chevy engine. I'm not saying that the owner cannot make his changes, and thankfully he allowed me to buy the complete driveline, suspension, wheels and axles as spares for my 1930 Packard 733.

Thank you for your kind comments in regard to my '34 Buick - and I appreciate your thoughts per your preference to the 40-Series and the more modern engine with the downdraft carburetor. We did look at several 40-Series cars and know how good they are, but found that Dale and I preferred the longer wheelbase, Chrome headlight housings (vs. painted), Chromed externally mounted Trumpet Horns (vs. painted and under hood), and other upscale touches which the 50-Series provided. Our real desire was for a 90-Series convertible Sedan, but finding a really solid original example in our range of affordability was not realistic, and when Lyle offered me his car which we had known for 5 years, we decided to jump. Sure, I could flip the manifold and mount a downdraft carb, but my car would no longer be original, and - as you and I agree - what next?? - fat tires? disc brakes? 454ci Buick engine?

Yes, we are not going to stop the rain - but hopefully we can tread water for now, at least among those of us who treasure originality.

Thanks again for your comments.

I've always liked this body style of upper end models by different manufacturers. These cars look best restored to their original stately appearances.

If you're brave enough you could check again the vin in the listing.

Why didn't I think of that? They are not the same. Looking at the Ebay car again and I agree that it would be so much better with different wheels. thanks

"Yes, we are not going to stop the rain - but hopefully we can tread water for now, at least among those of us who treasure originality."

Well said, Marty!! Since mine is a driver I am not fanatical about any small changes I do to make it a bit more reliable (radiator with more modern core, etc) but I always take pains to make sure any changes I make are totally reversible in case some future owner wants to go the 400 pt route.

Cheers, Dave

Bob, the center "dots" on the ebay car are the name tag for lights made by "TRIPPE"

The hexagonal form in the driving lights on my blue '34 pictured are that of "GUIDE", and were GM as opposed to aftermarket

"Yes, we are not going to stop the rain - but hopefully we can tread water for now, at least among those of us who treasure originality."

Well said, Marty!! Since mine is a driver I am not fanatical about any small changes I do to make it a bit more reliable (radiator with more modern core, etc) but I always take pains to make sure any changes I make are totally reversible in case some future owner wants to go the 400 pt route.

Cheers, Dave

Rockville, MD....ahhhhh, close to home about 15 years ago. Kind of wish I was back in Virginia, but noted 13 degrees yesterday morning. Still, it may yet happen.....don't like this part of Florida. But, I'm off the subject. I agree that some changes are good, like for instance insert bearings in a straight 8 and your radiator core. An electric fuel pump is also a must with this new ethanol gasoline if you don't want constant vapor locks in hot weather. I'll even go with radial (16-inch on your car) tires on an old car for driving. Vintage Air on an old car in hot weather states like Florida is really a good thing as our own bodies get older, but that gets too complicated on an old 6-volt straight 8. It requires an alternator, big aluminum radiator, 12-volt wiring, and more, all of which cause one to step over the divide I think between acceptable modifications and unacceptable modifications. Kingpins and bushings were used through 1956, which means 1952-1956 power steering could be inventively used in an old Buick to help an elderly driver without destroying the authentic look of the car though maybe if a person gets that bad off, he or she needs to give in to his or her aged afflictions and get a later car or give it all up. That's the 64-dollar question. Anything that shows, in particular, wheels just makes me sick.