dash plating

JustDave

hello auburnseeker

the interior handles i believe where are chrome,the winsheild guides and wing nuts appear to be plated the same as the dash parts,by 31 i dont believe they used nickle anymore so maybe it was just something in the chrome that made them tarnish to the bronze color,when i get the car out of storage ill take a closer look,i would like to replate them as original but will probably just chrome the interior parts if i cant find out what the proper plating was,again thanks for the help, dave

My 36 Chrysler has all Nickle plated interior trim so some manufacturers must have still been using it by 36. I imagine it had to have been discontinued not long after though. If you polish the part and a black haze comes up but you get that nice silver lustre I would bet it's nickel. Mine all had a tarnished brown look to them before I polished them probably similar to yours.

You can brush plate nickle onto them again, it's pretty in expensive and can be done quickly. If they are brown and you want them to polish up to a chrome finish look, let me know and I can help you out.

More than likely, it was nickel plated. As Auburnseeker says, nickel was used inside up to 1939 or 1940.

hello everyone

i was lucky enought to find a nos throttle pull cable and knob assembly on ebay i dont know whats its application is but its a direct match for the 31 & 32 devaux,auburn seeker and john where right it is nickle plated,i would have thought by 31 no more knickle was being used,i learn something daily being on the forum,this was the last part i needed for the devaux,i bought the car in late 69 and said i wouldnt start the restoration until i had all known parts that where missing aquired,well i guess its time to start,while doing this one i better start looking for the missing parts for the 32,i just hope it doesnt take 45 years to find the 32 parts,as always i appreciate the advise and knowledgeable help, thanks to everyone dave

So Nickel bonds to brass or copper, not steel. To nickle plate steel, you must first plate it in brass. when the nickle wears off, the brass can be seen, hence -brassy looking plated items. Chrome was then added to the process on top of the nickel in 1927 (because Chrome won't bond to brass). Chrome is much harder and resilient than nickel. I think nickel is prettier.

Roj - Could you tell me more about brush plate nickle and chrome. I am asking as I have a rather complicated mechanism that is rivited together (lots of rivits, lots of moving parts, and a few dissimilar metals) and I am currious if I can get quality chrome on it without taking it apart.

You can brush plate nickle onto them again, it's pretty in expensive and can be done quickly. If they are brown and you want them to polish up to a chrome finish look, let me know and I can help you out.

Dave,

I can brush plate your part, it is really pretty simple, you have a negative and positive charge on the part. The applicator is the positive with the part actually being negative and then Nickle solution is applied to the part. I do all my own cars. Send me a private message and I'll tellyou more. To do a knob, it is literally more expensive to ship it to me than for me to do the part.

Um, no, but nickle brush plating is the same process as putting it in a bath for plating, and will look identical. Chrome plating, you polish and put it over the nickle. (not the same process and hopefully you were making a joke with the tape.

It will look identical IF the part was disassembled and polished to a mirror finish first and IF the deposition is thick enough to actually last. Like chrome "paint" brush plating will make the part shiny but it certainly isn't a substitute for show chrome (or show nickle). Brush plating kits were traditionally marketed to used car lots looking to spruce up deteriorating bright work long enough to get the car off the lot. There is no way to get a satisfactory plating job on a riveted assemblage without disassembling it unless your expectations are very low.

I completely agree with you on Chrome, if you are just wanting Nickle for knobs on the inside, you can put .001 on each side and it will last for years. The only way for Chrome, is dip plating.