1963 buick electra body

philipjohnsen

OK Phillip: My suggestion is to do a search using Autotempest.com. Do the Craig lists search and concentrate on the areas in the South West US. Unless you are married to your 63 Electra convert (which many of us are) you might be better off finding a much better one to start with! Mitch

This is a good place to get Buick information. People bring their experience here in a variety of ways. In the 1970's I bought this book: $T2eC16J,!%290E9s37F,pwBROm2GIOkw~~60_35.JPG and took the title to heart. I have always had fun with my cars while I watched others toil away, over serious and frustrated. I have done things with cars that could have driven me to plant poison ivy on a playground. I just enjoy humor with a sense of irony (cast, in the case of cars). It is hard to have humor show online or in emails. I shouldn't have picked on the Swedes, maybe you could sell it to a German, they bought Rolls-Royce and Bentley!

Your rebody project proposal is a though one. You would have to find someone willing to dismantle an Electra convertible with a good body. That is kind of like my Swedish friend telling me to watch for good running 1950's convertibles under $10,000. I know; you never know unless you ask. Odds are a body will not materialize.

I do like toying with the idea of major rescues. I know where I can get a 1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan convertible that was customized, shortened and put on a 1941 Cadillac chassis in the 1960's. That makes your job look small. And you have the transport issues to get it home. If your main problem is the floor area you might consider having a floor from a Buick or Cadillac C body cut into quarters and shipped on a pallet. Then replace one quarter at a time while maintaining alignment. That is probably the easiest way to do a job that's not going to be easy at all. You might have to fabricate and fit the pieces. Getting solid side rails will make the rest of the job smoother.

Paul Lauracella in Lyndonville, New York does a lot of shipping to Europe and has a couple of decent '63-'64 Cadiillac Coupe deVille bodies, (585) 765-9106. They could have what you need. I am pretty sure it will be a piece together job.

Good luck, your writing looks fine to me.

Bernie

A two-door hardtop can be used for most of a convertible's body parts. I used a two-door hardtop 1963 Wildcat parts car to replace all of the rusty body parts on my 1963 Wildcat convertible. The two-door hardtop and convertible doors are the same. The trunk lids and trunk floors are the same between a 2-dr. hardtop and convertible. The hoods and front fenders are also the same. And the interior floors are nearly the same. Rear quarter panels are the same except at the very top of the quarter panel, and the rust is usually only at the bottom, anyway. Just to be clear, I am saying that our Norwegian friend can use an Electra 2-door hardtop for about 90% of his Electra convertible's body parts.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

Philip,

I would truly be surprised if you find just a convertible body. I think Pete's suggestion above (use a 2 dr. Hardtop) is going to prove to be the "easiest" and "cheapest" solution, even if you need to pay a weldor to do the work. The only other option is to start from scratch with a "new" already restored car which can be found and shipped to Norway for even less than restoring what you have. Just my opinion. Good luck either way.