Need help in dating another photo....

Guest earl specht

Guest earl specht

Hello, I have had much help here on dating old photos or finding out what brand/model an old car was, I thought I would ask another question if that is OK with all of you.

I would like to know what you think about this photo. I don't have a date for it, but could use the date (year) of the last model of auto show in it.

I do see also some sort of note in blue ink what looks like a date or something like a date, that is where the red arrows are pointing. But I cannot get it clear enough to read.

So I have to depend on the year of the cars.

Any help appreciated.

Earl Spechtpost-104493-143142874104_thumb.jpg

Guest earl specht

Thanks to all of you, so quick! You sure know your cars.

The year 1936 could be correct.

I had already seen what I believe was a 6 as the last number, I saw that pretty quickly.

But the other numbers are very hard to determine what they are.

The first two I can't really see at all, but they must be a 1 and a 9 (seeing the cars), and I can see the thickness and roundness of those two figures.

The number just after that could be a 3 or a 5, and of course that would (seening the autos) have to be a three.

Knowing the range of years that your presented and looking carefully at the photo (I do not have the original here) I am pretty sure it was 1936 (or later) and then there is more text but I cannot read it at all.

I want to thank all of you for your help!

Earl

It does look like a split window in the back of that coupe. Is this an American scene?

I don't think it is a split window. I see the vertical lines behind the car coming down in the same place they are in the window. Continuing, if you will. It looks more like a Dodge to me.

Guest earl specht

Dave, I have made a close up of the auto. It is very hard to see, the photo is, well so to say, bad. Not in focus and bad resolution. I cannot really see if its a split window, there is a lighter vertical line there but those are else where on the photo too...

And yes, it was taken in Lancaster California. Walt, the person who took the photo, died a short time ago 94 years old (a World War II veteran) and I received his photo collection (for the historical society). Have been digitalizing the photo's at this moment. Trying to date them all also. I have the idea that the auto coming down the street (the 1935 Ford) is from his family, and the writing says something about that.

Thanks to Pete O, Keiser31, Curti, Nzcarnerd, Dave and Bhambulldog for your excellent help! I know in any case a range of years (34 to 37).

post-104493-143142875401_thumb.jpg

Edited by earl specht
added some text about Walt (see edit history)

If you had the original of the photo and a good magnifying glass you might be able to read the theater marquee on the right. The names of the pictures would allow you to date the photo accurately as to the year, and if you could get at the local newspaper's files and find the advertisement for those pictures, you could date the photo within a few days.

Guest earl specht

Hi Rusty. Well I don't have the original photo, but maybe my friend can find it, although there are about 20 boxes full of photos and documents, so it would take some time, and she is busy all the time.

That's the bad part. But it's a great idea. I did scan in everything at 600dpi when I was in California this year. It's not as good as looking at the original photo in any case, but I will try to do what you say with my scanned photo. Had not thought about doing that! Newspapers, well Lancaster was a small town back then and there was a newspaper back then, but they had a fire and lost most of the old copies. But I just might have some scans someplace of the ad's. I have more than 270,000 jpg's on my computer so it will be a big search. I am recording, sorting and naming the photos, but have a long way to go yet.

Yes Dave I moved to Holland in 1971 (chasing the nice Dutch girls here that I met in Germany when in service) and had a great job here. That and being here so long all my friends and family (from my wife) are here so it's hard to think about moving back, and at my age moving again would be hard, especially international. Have moved internationally quite a few times and it's not easy, and it's costly. So now come back to my birthplace only one in about 4-5 years, love the Californian desert.

Will try to see if I can get the text and report back. Thanks for the tips.

Edited by earl specht
forgot something (see edit history)