HOOD ORNAMENT IDENTIFICATION HELP PLEASE

Guest chester06412

Guest chester06412

Hi all.First post

I have an older friend of mine who doesnt use a computer and asked me to help identify this hood ornament.He is 75 and his dad had a local garage where he fixed cars. This ornament was saved from a long time ago-possibly 75-80 years old. Anybody here have an idea what make and year it is from?He is also looking for a value on it and is possibly for sale. Thanks for your help.post-104231-143142814864_thumb.jpg

post-104231-143142814771_thumb.jpg

post-104231-143142814794_thumb.jpg

post-104231-143142814817_thumb.jpg

post-104231-143142814841_thumb.jpg

Looks to be an aftermarket item that was sold by auto supply companies to dress up a car. These items are nice to collect but are not worth much, especially in its current condition. Not really specific to any make of car.

Terry

Guest chester06412

Wow!thanks so much!Great info.I compared it to the ebay one up close and it seems to be an exact match. Looks like my friend removed the radiator cap.He said he had it mounted on an old car of his for awhile and modified it to fit then removed it again for fear it would be taken. So glad I came to this forum.This will make his day

Guest Skyking
Guest AlCapone
I would give you $4.95 for it!!!

Ha.

If you want to sell, give me a price.

In days of old they said money doubles itself every 7 years. So 5 dollars in 1965 equates to $600 plus today. Are you offering him $600 dollars ?

( lol ) Wayne

Guest chester06412

my friend said to put it on ebay and sell it.thanks for your help guys.he figured its better off going to someone who will use it

Guest AlCapone
Thanks for the lesson. I thought for sure something that big would have been an aftermarket piece.

I am still not sure it isn't !

Wayne

Guest Skyking
my friend said to put it on ebay and sell it.thanks for your help guys.he figured its better off going to someone who will use it

That piece is well pitted. It will cost a small fortune to replate.

Guest Skyking
Yes I did but the replicas were very close.

I know the ones I've seen have Petty engraved in them. That would surely make the difference whether they're aftermarket or not. Something the poster should check.