VIN Correction with NYS DMV

ejboyd5

I have a 1956 automobile that I bought in 1971. About thirty or so years ago I realized that the vehicle was registered under its motor number rather that its chassis number, but as I had no intention of selling I did not let this bother me unduly. As time progressed and as I read more and more horror stories on web sites about fabricated data plates, pieced up cars and the like, I decided I would be doing my family a big favor to straighten out this error in case it ever became necessary to sell the car. Not without a great deal of trepidation I contacted DMV in Albany to inquire about the process. Four telephone calls later, I was finally speaking to a very nice Investigator in my local county who advised it would be necessary to bring my car to her garage (about 60 miles away from my home) for inspection. Armed with all my documentation (including a copy of the factory build sheet and a thirty year old book published by the club that specializes in this vehicle) I made my way to the inspection station. Once there, everything was businesslike and efficient. My Investigator has obviously done her home work and knew exactly where to look for the several attached number plates and the stamped body number, all of which matched the factory build sheet and the club book. Within an hour I ws on my way home with a "Report of Inspection" verifying the chassis number to be the correct VIN of the vehicle. The following Monday, after having received an amended FS-20 from my insurance company, I went to my local DMV office and within 15 minutes had a new registration issued.

If anyone is wondering why I have bothered to post all of this, it is simply because I am overwhelmingly pleased by the service rendered by NYS DMV. I have been dealing with this particular branch of State government for all of my adult life and have always found it to be petty, time-consuming and obstructionist in its dealings with the public. Prior to this encounter, my mind ran wild with the possible pitfalls that might engulf me in trying to change a VIN (up to and including a seizure of the vehicle as stolen goods or the mandatory installation of a state issued substitute VIN). These fears had delayed my attempt to correct the underlying problem for at least the past ten years.

Obviously, I can't guarantee that anyone else's experience with NYS DMV will be as pleasant as mine, but there really does seem to be a new spirit of cooperation at DMV that extends right to the clerks at the windows in the local office who now greet you with a smile and pass pleasantries while conducting their business. Perhaps it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks. My hat is off to NYS DMV for trying to improve its image and its relationship with the public.

I amended the paperwork on several old cars from 'motor number' to 'VIN' when I lived in New York and also found the NYS DMV to be pleasant to work with. The last time I did this was over 10 years ago and there was no physical inspection required at that time. On every car I did, all they required was a pencil tracing of the VIN and an insurance card in my name with the VIN instead of the motor number. They would then issue a transferable registration (no titles in NY for cars made before 1973) in my name.

I, too, have found the New York DMV to be very helpful, friendly, and effective. I recently had to replace the engine in a Model A and, of course, it was titled by engine number. They actually only wanted photos and/or etchings of the old number and the new number. I got my paperwork together, drove to New York for a day, and they took care of it in about 30 minutes. I was SHOCKED by how friendly, helpful, and polite they were. They told me what to do, I did it, there were no problems. You don't have any idea how rare that is in a DMV environment.

Ohio? Not so much. We had a Lincoln with an incorrect door tag--apparently the door on the car had been taken from another vehicle many years ago and somewhere along the line, the title had been switched to match that other door tag (even though the tag itself specifically says "NOT FOR TITLE OR REGISTRATION PURPOSES.") Of course, that door tag decoded to a blue 2-door coupe instead of a green 4-door convertible, so obviously something was amiss. So I trailered it to the DMV inspection station where they were going to verify the correct VIN. I offered to show them where the VIN was stamped on the body, but the officer said, "No, we know where all the secret VINs are." Oh, the SECRET VINs. OK, dude. Have fun.

Two hours later, the guy comes out and asks me where the VIN is on the body. I show him, he fills out his form, and I take it to my DMV office. The clerk's response? "Holy cow, that actually worked?" Not exactly confidence-inspiring.

When I finally snap, I'm not going to the post office, I'm going to the DMV...

Three years ago I had a car with the motor number used as the vin number. I found the frame serial number, took a rubbing of this and went to my local (county) DMV and explained the situation to them, they changed it on the spot. Plus, a big plus, they thanked me for taking the time to correct this problem so the DMV records would now actually represent the car and vice-versa. I have never in the past several decades had anything but positive dealings with them. --Bob

I have to admit I read this thread because I figured this was going to be a horror story with NYS DMV I have not heard of yet. You guys must have found some of the best NYS DMV offices in the state. I do agree it is better then it was 25 years ago, but then again I don't think it could not have gotten any worse at the time. The downstate DMV offices I have found is far from an enjoyable encounter, the worste is the in the Bronx!

At least your problem was solved, and I am glad for that

I have to admit I read this thread because I figured this was going to be a horror story with NYS DMV I have not heard of yet. You guys must have found some of the best NYS DMV offices in the state. I do agree it is better then it was 25 years ago, but then again I don't think it could not have gotten any worse at the time. The downstate DMV offices I have found is far from an enjoyable encounter, the worste is the in the Bronx!

At least your problem was solved, and I am glad for that

For what it's worth, I used the Staten Island office to do my VIN amendments because I lived there at the time.

For what it's worth, I used the Staten Island office to do my VIN amendments because I lived there at the time.

WOW a day for humanity. I have to go tomorrow to return a set of plates from a car I sold in the AACA magazine last month, might be driving to Staten Island